Random Act of Kindness

Carol

Good idea!! I like this... but I haven't done any random acts of kindness today. I'll have to think about that tomorrow. :D

The 10th-16th was actually the random acts of kindness foundation's official world kindness week. It's okay to be mean again now until February.

Let's see... in my laundry room trips today, I held the door open a second for the guy behind me and then later a minute for a woman pushing a down's syndrome kid in a wheelchair. That's really basic civility rather than kindness, but I'm antisocial, so what do you expect from me? :p

Side note: I'm never sure what to think of "view advertising to help people" websites. Seems like you're only helping if you eventually pursue one of the advertised items, otherwise you're just dragging down what the advertiser is willing to pay per view. Though as long as the advertisers all specially opted in it's okay... as a sometimes-advertiser I just wouldn't want my ads running on a site where people aren't clicking because of actual interest in the ad.

JonnyD_

i found out about http://www.freerice.com/ just last week , it's lots of fun really :) , i love the maps quizz. and if there's the slightest change of them giving that rice to people who need i'll do it ;)

I found about it through www.poverty.com, if you open the site you'll see a map with pictures, showing a very selfish emotion , when i saw a picture of a girl, looking barelly 6 yo, with a brazilian name, right up the brazilian map, i couldn't belive, that could be my neighbor or someone even someone in my family. i cant belive how here people throw food away like nothing and some states up in the map people starve to death.

i can undertand how illness like malaria aids or cholera kill people , althought that's unbearable because the treatment is available , but i can't seriosly understand how we let people starve to death nowdays.

madmike

I don't know if this counts as an act of kindness but here goes. Today at the train station on my way back from college i bumped into this guy smoking a cigarette and holding a can of beer (which to most people is an immediate sign of avoidance). But he looked like he wanted to talk to someone and i felt able to listen to him and follow his story. The guy told me about his life, his rough past and his philosophies. I enjoyed the chat and managed to really open up to him and confess some of my own problems (such as my social phobia and my fears of being a schizoid)...

It really took a burden off my back to be able to talk like that, and it restored some of my faith in humanity. I suppose it was more of an act of kindness from his part, but i felt that he appreciated having someone just to talk to who didn't reject him because of his own problems (was a former drug addict, had been in jail, and was hypermanic). Despite all this i found him a truly amazing and giving guy... and it maybe just teaches you, don't judge a book by it's cover!

"No one said it was gonna be easy", he said at one point. Today though, thanks to him, i feel at least that it's gonna be possible! :D :)