Question about gays

MNM322

I want to first say, I am not judging or trying to come off rude, I have no issues with gays and support gay marriage, I am just honestly curious

So for the people who say you are born gay (not sure I believe it, and I am not a christian but thats a whole different topic).... does this mean that if there is a set of twins, triplets etc... that all will be gay or none? As they share the same DNA, right?? Can someone explain this to me.

xDreamseller

I never "believed" in the whole "born gay" thing either. When you a kid you think girls are icky and you stay away from them, you don't really gain any sexual desire / preference until puberty and I think that's when you realize you're straight or not. Many things could have influenced you up until that point.

U

user deleted

There's a whole bunch of research about genetic predisposition towards homosexuality, not just the 'gay gene' thing, but a neuroendocrine predisposition as well (in men). I think that it could be pretty well-supported that you're born gay.

The way I see it is it's dangerous to assume that people 'turn' gay. That's what has led to those god awful Christian run 'sexual rehabilitation camps' (which, imo, do not work). It almost implies that being gay is a choice.. it isn't. If you're heterosexual you couldn't wake up tomorrow and just decide you are attracted to your own sex.

MNM322

Still no one has answered my actual question... this is not a born gay or not debate...

U

user deleted

I want to first say, I am not judging or trying to come off rude, I have no issues with gays and support gay marriage, I am just honestly curious

So for the people who say you are born gay (not sure I believe it, and I am not a christian but thats a whole different topic).... does this mean that if there is a set of twins, triplets etc... that all will be gay or none? As they share the same DNA, right?? Can someone explain this to me.

Twins aren't genetically identical.

MNM322

I thought they were? Weird... so I am even more confused now then, ha! Sorry for the stupid question then

U

user deleted

Incognito10

There is no conclusive evidence among medical communities. I have read that it may be something that occurs in utero (which could explain why it occurs in one twin and not another). I am gay and long before puberty and my "sexual awakening" I was not as masculine acting as my peers. Perhaps it's not in DNA, it's just part of the individuals development, even if in utero due to certain hormones. When someone says they were born that way, it could just mean that they have been that way as long as they can remember, oppose to something they decided upon and could just change on a whim. It's just a variation

Last edited:
Not necessarily, I recall reading articles where supposed identical twins had different sexualities. In the same way that other likes/dislikes aren't guaranteed to be the same I guess. :3

Off-topic; It's better not to refer to gay people as 'gays' it makes it sound as a identity as a whole. Which it isn't, of course. Similar to that straight people aren't 'straights'. It's a common slip up, so no harm done, just a heads up. ;3

Last edited:

Kevin T

Being gay is no more a choice than being straight.
Think of all the places in the world where they are persecuted and yet they are still around. And then there are gays born into families that raise them to think it is a sin, some would do anything to choose not to be gay, but they are born that way.
I'm straight, I could not choose to be otherwise if I wanted to. The same is true for gays.
Personally it doesn't matter who someone loves, as long as they are consenting adults.