Public Speaking Class!

GreenEyedRedHead

Hey everyone! So, I went back to school after graduating from high school almost 20 years ago. I'm going to be an RN. So far, it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I took 3 classes online, and I only had to show up in class for Algebra 3 days a week. I had to force myself to go to this class, as you might imagine, and I couldn't take my 1 mg of Xanax to get through it because I couldn't concentrate on the work. I did O.k. This teacher was really nice and never called on anyone in class. School's over till fall semester, but here's my problem. I have to take a mandatory public speaking class! It's months away, and I'm already stressing out. Here are my two options: 1) An online class, where you do the work online, but still have to show up and deliver speeches in person, or 2) The on-campus class where I'd have to go 2 or 3 days a week. I heard people in my Algebra talking about it, and they said it's easier to do the on-campus class because by the time you have to speak, you've had the chance to get comfortable with your classmates. These are people who probably don't have SA though. I'm leaning towards the online class. But it is true that it would be hard to just show up and give a speech in front of people you've never seen before. I'm panicking just thinking about it! What would you all do? I always get and hopefully give good advice on here. Thanks :)

Nanita

Hi. Sounds great that you are studying again and I´m really impressed.

For me it would actually be easier giving a speech in front of people that I DON´T know.
If I start knowing people even just a little, I get embarrased to show them my weird sides. If I don´t know people, well then I´m just a stranger and I can walk in and walk out.

Vampayah88

Same here, id rather give a speech in front of strangers instead of family or people that know me.
I'm in college and I remember how it was for me last semester when i took up some optional course, pedagogy. The teacher made us think of some random themes regarding how to act with students if you were a teacher, psychological things.., stuff like that..you had to make up what to say in a matter of minutes then go in front of like 100 freakin people and give your speech. It was complete ****in nightmare. I only had that course every once a week and I had dread in my stomach when that day was getting closer. I gave up after one month cause I couldn't take the stress anymore. I would never enjoy being a teacher anyway so whats the point.

Just about everyone has a fear of public speaking, SA or not, so you wont be alone. Doing this class is a good opportunity to tackle a fear, my first successful time was in a class as a adult and it gave my a big permanent confidence boost to get through it - other students were understanding and supportive of each other, so I would suggest the class rather than online.:)

Mendel

Hey, I also went back to school many years later and was faced with the same dread when I found out I had to take that course, so I can sympathize. I opted for the in-class rather than the online. From my experience, the people who said it was easier because you will get to know the people are right (at least that was the case for me). Even though they might not also have SA as well, most of them do fear public speaking as well, as phocas pointed out. In my class, we actually all got pretty close because we had that shared experience of doing something we didn't want to. It is tough at first, but if you stick with it, it does get a bit easier. Good luck with whatever you choose.

GreenEyedRedHead

Thanks for all the great insight. You all have good points. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do, but I do have two other classes I have to take at actual school, so I'll probably opt for the online public speaking just because that's less time I'd have to be there. I feel awkward when it's an in-between class time and everyone's out in the halls or in sitting areas. Even if I'm looking over notes or texting I feel like everyone's watching me, or that I look nervous. It really sucks that my medication (xanax) makes me not be able to concentrate enough. It sure gets me through other times like work and going to the store. I'm sure I'll rely on it when I'm giving my actual speech. That's at least one small comfort. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

U

userremoved

We're kinda in the same situation, I'm going back to school after graduating 10 years ago haha. But yeah I feel your pain, there's always some public speaking requirement it seems. But like someone said earlier even people without SAD are terrified of doing this. Just watch close and you'll see, that helps me a little at least. As for which option to take I dunno, they both sound scary to me lol.