Psychotherapy: it's what they want to give me

theblank

Well, I went into the hospital for a physical today and part of the process included asking questions about PTSD, depression, suicide, etc. I sent up major red flags as I have issues with all of those, so a psychologist was immediately sent in to talk with me. I opened up and told her tons of personal stuff and she listened, didn't judge me, asked a lot of good questions and seemed to have an excellent understanding of the MANY issues I grapple with...including social anxiety. I connected with her and felt comfortable sharing with her, so when it came time for her to refer me to someone else, I told her that I liked her and wanted to continue with her. She was okay with it and I'm going to talk to her again next week. She's not a magician. She's not going to solve all of my problems, but I know she wants to help me. The doctor who brought her in was a real caring person who brought me to tears when she was trying to encourage me not to kill myself. All in all it was a productive day and to celebrate I listened to "Psycho Therapy" a great song by the Ramones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVWv2FYE4E&feature=related

Last edited:

theblank

They sound like some truly awesome health workers. Good luck with your future sessions.

Yeah, I think I got lucky. It's nice to run across people who actually care.

Great song too :)

I agree. The Ramones were a great band and I can relate to a lot of what they sing about. They also have the perfect beat to run to.

Nicholas

Yep, you are lucky, it seems. It's not easy to find people who are really willing to help you, I think.
Anyway, I just wanted to say I just found out about that song, and it can't stop singing "psychotherapy, that's what they wanna give meeee", LOL! Awesome.:D

theblank

Yep, you are lucky, it seems. It's not easy to find people who are really willing to help you, I think.
Anyway, I just wanted to say I just found out about that song, and it can't stop singing "psychotherapy, that's what they wanna give meeee", LOL! Awesome.:D

I'm glad you liked the song. The Ramones were a great band and most of their songs were super short and full of energy. I recently went through a two month period where I downloaded nearly every song they ever recorded and listened to them non-stop. I even watched a documentary on the band where the guitar player (Johnny Ramone) said there was a lot of mental illness in the band. I found that comment to be interesting.

I had the chance to visit Johnny Ramone's grave recently. It's the coolest!!!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 042 (2).jpg
    042 (2).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

theblank

Well I went in for session number two today. It did not go well. The therapist asked me what I wanted to work on and I didn't know what to say. I got nervous, started sweating and went blank minded. Ummm....everything??? I told her I had a lot of issues and she agreed with me. She said I needed to prioritize them, but I couldn't. We finally came up with a jumping off point and she asked me what triggered me when I got upset. I had no idea what to say so she said we needed to slow it down a little. I felt stupid and like the therapy was already going in the wrong direction. It was like she was asking me to go over a homework assignment she hadn't given me or I was being tested on a subject I'd never studied for. I just kind of shied up on her.

Other things that happened were that even though I was right on time we started ten minutes late and finished five minutes early. I felt cheated. We also were interrupted by a few crisis calls which she was responsible to handle. I almost felt like telling her to take them and forget about me, but I didn't.

Maybe next week will be better. I will do the homework she has now officially assigned me and come in with a list of priorities of what I'd like to work on. I will try to keep a positive attitude about this because otherwise I will stop going and be in the same spot as I was before...lost and confused.

theblank

Well I guess I'm just talking to myself at this point, but after four months of therapy my therapist told me the therapy was a failure. She said it was half her fault and half my fault. She said I was a blank and she couldn't get anything out of me. While I thought it was ironic that she said I was a blank, I didn't really like that she was blaming me for it not working out. I tried my best and was honest as I could be with her. I told her as much as I could about myself and thought she would be able to put the pieces together, but she couldn't. She didn't probe deep enough into my traumatic experiences and overlooked other key pieces of information I gave her. It's okay. I forgive her. She tried and it just didn't work out.

I remember a saying from a movie. It was something like:
"The best therapist is the one inside ourselves..."
I have never been to therapy or a shrink but sometimes I wonder
if that saying holds true.

blue-roses

Sorry to hear that, theblank. I don't think you should give up yet, though; try and find help again elsewhere, even though you were lucky to find someone caring in the first place. Good luck :)

theblank

I remember a saying from a movie. It was something like:
"The best therapist is the one inside ourselves..."
I have never been to therapy or a shrink but sometimes I wonder
if that saying holds true.

It probably does. If we get quiet and listen to that still small voice deep inside of us...and obey it...that's probably what's best IF we have our heads screwed on right. But when you're all messed up and lost in life, sometimes it's helpful to have someone to talk to who is objective and can show you the point where you got off and try and help you get back on track.

One of the problems I have with therapy is that you have to tell so many details about yourself to someone who doesn't even know you and then HOPE that they understand you well enough to be able to give you good counsel. So far I've never met anyone in life that I could say understands me and this therapist was no exception. She made some good insights, but when it all came down she did not know how to get through to me and ultimately it failed.

theblank

Sorry to hear that, theblank. I don't think you should give up yet, though; try and find help again elsewhere, even though you were lucky to find someone caring in the first place. Good luck :)

Thanks. I'm not giving up and perhaps I will try again with someone else. I guess my luck just ran out.

theblank

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I went back to see a therapist again today. He had been "assigned" to me by his department and didn't seem too interested in having to deal with me. I didn't feel any emotional connection with him and he didn't ask me many questions. After only 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 50 minute session, he dismissed me. Then I went down the hall and saw a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist was the total opposite of the therapist and seemed to be a warm and genuinely caring person. I hit it off with him and wished he could be my therapist, but therapy is not what psychiatrists do. He didn't think I was in any immediate need of meds or that I needed to see him again, so I guess that's good. At least one person on earth doesn't think I'm completely nuts. However, I am still stuck with the therapist and if I want a different one I have to go back on the 3 month waiting list. That's what happens when you're poor and have to go to the places where they treat you for free. I guess I'll give the therapist one more chance next week, but if he doesn't show any caring or interest I'm not going to waste my time talking to him. I have better things to do with my life.

EasySkankin

Hey, don't give up man... I've been in a pretty ****ty position before, but I keep trying and things keep getting better for me... I really think I can be truly happy some day (and it feels pretty soon too)

Anyway, that song by the ramones is pretty cool, love it :D

theblank

Hey, don't give up man... I've been in a pretty ****ty position before, but I keep trying and things keep getting better for me... I really think I can be truly happy some day (and it feels pretty soon too)

Anyway, that song by the ramones is pretty cool, love it :D

Glad you loved the Ramones song. They were a great band. If you didn't already see the pictures I took of Johnny Ramone's grave, check them out. They are on the first page of this thread.

I went for round two today with the new therapist and noticed a slight improvement. He still cuts the session off short and is tough to connect with, but I felt a little better this time around...so I'll keep going.

Thanks for reminding me not to give up. That's the secret. Gotta keep trying even when things seem doomed.