Propranolol

SweatyCanuck

So my doctor is starting to do some trial and error to see if we can find a medication or combination of medications that will control my CS a bit. Has anyone ever taken propranolol? The first thing I tried was Avert and even at the highest dose it did nothing other than give me severe dry mouth and impair my thinking. He has just started me on a low dose of 5mg twice per day of propranolol (a beta blocker) which is traditionally used for high blood pressure and anxiety. My blood pressure is fairly normal so I hope it is not affected negatively. I do have anxiety but everyone does, and mine is generally when I am soaking wet at work from my CS all over my body. Just wondering if anyone else has went this route. The pharmacist said the biggest side effects are low blood pressure, fatigue and dizziness. I am excited to see if it works but I realize I am probably not going to get relief so early in this trial and error process. Just wondering if anyone has experience with it. It also has to be taken every day which worries me. I would prefer to only take it the days I need it but if it works then I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Sprawling

The Propranolol topic has come up before. There seems to be no indication from other member posts over the years that this helps HH in any manner.

shyguy210

not to discourage you but a very high does of propanolol did not make any effect for me :(
Xanax (again high dose; 6 times my prescribed dose) did not make any effect.
I have facial cranio HH....

annafi

Yeah, propranolol is not going to work, if you have primary hyperhidrosis. Propranolol (targets Beta receptors) is indicated for hypertension / to decrease the workload on the heart. It has also been used off-label for performance anxiety, tremors, hyperthyroidism etc. The idea is that when one gets anxiety, their heart rate increases, which leads to other physiological symptoms. It isn't directly inhibiting the sympathetic system (which is where primary hyperhidrosis is triggered from). Thus, if you think you're sweating more when you are in an anxious situation, this may provide some symptomatic relieve, but I doubt it will decrease sweating.
The sweat glands are innervated my cholinergic receptors. Thus blocking the receptor via anticholinergics (glycopyrrolate) is a better pharmaceutical approach than propranolol.

TL;DR: propranolol does not target receptors in the sweat glands, and thus will not decrease sweat output

alwayswet

At 51, I have tried just about everything including ETS. The only thing that I found pill wise that reduces the sweating is Robinul Forte (and it comes in a generic), but it comes at a price: Very dry mouth. And it did not reduce the sweating to something I would consider normal, but it helped.

It so hard to find any medical people who have even heard of ETS let alone topical or pharmaceutical solutions. I am 50 pounds overweight, but when I first started suffering from this affliction, I was in top shape. My doctor always points to my weight when I bring up the idea for a new HH remedy. It probably would help to be the ideal weight, but I have been chasing that since college.

Good luck, I hope to hell someone finds a solution for this curse.

shyguy210

I have ordered Avert 2mg... what dose do you recommend taking? I have severe HH especially in anxious situations.

Jonathanhh

Shyguy, try the 2mg first and gradually rise from there. The maximum dosage is 8mg, but don't go all in the first time :p The side effects; dry mouth, brainfog, etc may annoy you a bit.

I would recommend you to take it when you wake up since you have to take it on an empty stomach, and after taking them wait roughly 1-2 hours before eating (you can wake up earlier and take them and go back to sleep if you need to eat before work)

Anyways, best of luck to you!

shyguy210

Shyguy, try the 2mg first and gradually rise from there. The maximum dosage is 8mg, but don't go all in the first time :p The side effects; dry mouth, brainfog, etc may annoy you a bit.

I would recommend you to take it when you wake up since you have to take it on an empty stomach, and after taking them wait roughly 1-2 hours before eating (you can wake up earlier and take them and go back to sleep if you need to eat before work)

Anyways, best of luck to you!

thx for the reply... 2mg can last the whole day? I have a wedding next week.. will need it to last from morning to very late at night ; roughly literally the whole day

Jonathanhh

You can take another 2mg or whatever the right dosage you find is during the day if you notice it's wearing off. Let's say you notice it wearing off at 4pm, then you can take another pill or two, but just make sure you haven't ate for 2 hours or so before and don't eat 2 hours after and you should be good =p

Good luck at the wedding!

shyguy210

You can take another 2mg or whatever the right dosage you find is during the day if you notice it's wearing off. Let's say you notice it wearing off at 4pm, then you can take another pill or two, but just make sure you haven't ate for 2 hours or so before and don't eat 2 hours after and you should be good =p

Good luck at the wedding!

thx man! I will try to experiment with the dosage.. read 2mg is pretty strong.. so I think it should be enough right?

SweatyCanuck

I take 4-6 mg at a time and it rarely works no matter how long i starve myself. 2 may be very strong for you who knows. It's very individual.

dtntn

I have been on propranolol and unless taking with an empty stomach It doesn't have much effect. I have craniofacial hyperhydrosis and today in the post my glycorpryorrelate cream arrived so i'm hoping to use that instead of the tablets due to the dry mouth and eyes! I'm 21 and from the UK and looking to meet other young people with HH if anyone fancies a chat.