Professional Psychological help

odetoanoddity

Has anyone sought any help from a psychologist/therapist and would like to share their experiences on here? If so, what are sessions like? I'm considering seeing my GP to get a referral to see a pro with regards to my anxiety/depression...

ImNotMyIllness

I'll find out in March. My GP gave me a referral. Should be interesting. I'm not sure what to expect. I would also love to hear other people's experiences.

odetoanoddity

I hope the sessions work well for you! :) How did you explain to your GP? I'm not sure how to talk to mine about this..

ImNotMyIllness

I was just honest and straightforward. I discussed my OCD, Anxiety and Depression. I didn't even have to ask for a referral, my GP brought it up. I would never have asked. Thank God she did!

I don't know what you're personally going through but tell your GP as much as you can and ask for a referral. Your GP is in no position to give you a proper diagnosis.

ImNotMyIllness

In fact, I called the general medical center's number and stated that I wanted to see a GP about Depression. I think that's what got the ball rolling in the right direction. My GP seems to have some experience in dealing with depressed and anxious patients although it's obvious she doesn't have the proper background to provide advice and treatment.
She did prescribe Fluoxetine but I stopped taking it after a few weeks. I want to first talk to someone more knowledgeable and also do everything that I can naturally before I start taking pills.

Last edited:

odetoanoddity

The thing is, I haven't seen my GP in years... When I *needed* to see her last year, the medical centre told me she relocated to another part of the country (I live in Australia). So talking to another doctor about my anxiety and depression is more than a little unnerving :\

However, I do feel like I need to see a pro, so inevitably I will be seeking for a Doctor's referral. What does it feel like taking prescription drugs? I've wondered about it, to the point of considering taking them.. but whenever I'd tell my best friend or my boyfriend about it, they'd be against it and recommend doing other things. I participate in Yoga/Pilates/Meditation and they do help, to an extent, but there is always that deep part inside of me that dreads things and gets anxious about them. I've never taken prescriptions such as Fluoxetine or anything else, so I was wondering what the effects were after taking them?

ImNotMyIllness

Fluoxetine 20mg had no effect on me, accept that I could not remember my dreams. Other than that, it might as well have been a sugar pill.
I am a big guy, so I don't know if that was part of the reason the dose did not work. I doubt it. I also wasn't on it for very long.

SilentAndShy

I was referred to a psychological assessor after I told my GP about my depression etc. I've had two sessions, with my final one due next week. In the two sessions, she allowed me to talk about my problems and I was able to talk and get things off my chest. In the first week, she advised me to try and make a conversation with my sister (which I couldn't do) and in the second week, she's asked me to list my daily schedule; what I do, when I get up etc. Hopefully I should be doing CBT soon.

She did ask me to request some medicines from GP but I'm hesitant.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
My last therapist lasted three years, she seemed nice, the sessions helped for a while. It took three long years to get everything out of my chest, talk about my symptoms, etc.

The problem arised when it was time to actually solve the issues I talked about. I think the situation was too much for her, or she didn't want to help. She seemed more concerned about the 100 bucks she took at the end of each session than helping me, in my opinion.

I believe that a therapist who wants to help you will actually ehlp you overcome crap, give you tips. She never really gave me any tips besides "just do it". I can get the same response from my mother for free. No... actually, my mother has given better advice, because she has anxiety herself.

While the therapist was trying to convince me that I was Schizophrenic, crippled for life and was never going to achieve anything because of my supposed illness, other people were telling me that I wasn't that bad. My mate says I have potential, that I can overcome things. My friends say I can do anything I want if I get the right help.

Of course, I'm not going to tell you not to get help. Give it a try. I might have had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean you'll have it too. It might help you a lot.

IntheLabyrinth

My last therapist lasted three years, she seemed nice, the sessions helped for a while. It took three long years to get everything out of my chest, talk about my symptoms, etc. The problem arised when it was time to actually solve the issues I talked about. I think the situation was too much for her, or she didn't want to help. She seemed more concerned about the 100 bucks she took at the end of each session than helping me, in my opinion. I believe that a therapist who wants to help you will actually ehlp you overcome crap, give you tips. She never really gave me any tips besides "just do it". I can get the same response from my mother for free. No... actually, my mother has given better advice, because she has anxiety herself. While the therapist was trying to convince me that I was Schizophrenic, crippled for life and was never going to achieve anything because of my supposed illness, other people were telling me that I wasn't that bad. My mate says I have potential, that I can overcome things. My friends say I can do anything I want if I get the right help. Of course, I'm not going to tell you not to get help. Give it a try. I might have had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean you'll have it too. It might help you a lot.

Sounds like that Dr. wasn't good at her job at all. They are just like people from every type of job; some are good, some aren't.

IntheLabyrinth

I went through two psychiatrists and three psychologists before I found one that helped me. At the time I found her, I had anticipatory anxiety every day for even the most innocuous social situations, I avoided anything socially that I possibly could (coldn't avoid talking to people at work), I was just generally terrified of everyone, and had no self-esteem whatsoever. After a couple of months of therapy, I had much less anxiety in all of the aformentioned categories. She worked on countering my mistaken beliefs about my self worth and inabilities, did a lot of relaxation meditation and hypnosis, and role playing, amng other things. She was a Godsend. She was just finishing her internship, so she was very up to date on all of the newest methods, and she used a lot of different methods (e.g. humanistic, CBT, etc). I hit a bit of a road block when she wanted me to start doing the behavioral aspect of CBT, and wanted to me to stop coming every week because she knew it was time for me to help myself, so I stopped going after 3 and a half years or so. I planned on returning but then I got fired for a failed drug test, and I haven't been back to due my lack of insurance... The best advice I can give is make sure that the person is right for you because some are better suited for specific mental illnesses and overall life challenges. Just ask if they think they are the best one in the office for what you're dealing with. This is all rather vague as to what to expect for each session. Initially, expect a lot of questions about yourself.

tonicobastos

If your health insurance doesn't cover sa therapy, you will spend a lot of money. Here in Brazil the one-hour session with a psychiatrist costs 250-300 bucks and the psychologist charges 120-150 per hour, that's a lot considering the average wage here is R$ 1375.
As you can guess from the initial tone of my post, I got very frustrated.
In the first 2 sessions the psychologist asked questions about me and then we started doing cbt. The main focus was exposure therapy; my assignments were to go to the gym and do voluntary service (both activities were suggested by me).
After five months of treatment, I didn't get any less shy and the therapist would rarely give me any useful advice, she just asked about what I did during the week and said obvious stuff like "avoid staying silent", and "talk to people".
About the anti-depressants, for me they did more harm than good, but for some people they help a lot.
Despite my initial failure, I still think that cbt may work, but it must be done by competent professionals.
I hope you can find something useful in my post.;)