Positive Affirmations… Have you tried this?

TableFor1

The owner of my company is such an inspirational person, he is truly amazing on many levels. He said, he writes a letter to himself with what he wants to accomplish with his desired deadline date(s). He tapes the letter to his bathroom mirror and reads it out loud every morning and night for one month. There must be something to it, he is very successful.

I just started doing this, but in a bullet format. For example here are a few things I listed:
- I smile at obstacles
- I believe in myself
- I am socially skilled
- I am successful in all my projects
- I am close to my family and friends and keep in touch often

Have you ever tried this? Does it or has it worked for you?

Last edited:

cowboyup

Yup.
I know (or rather, knew personally) Darren LaCroix and Guy Burns. Darren is a motivational speaker as is Guy Burns. They both introduced me to the positive affirmation thing. I was keeping up for a while, but have slipped...

Also, someone I used to work with did this as well. She would put sticky notes around her cubicle, etc.

It's a good practice but unfortunately I have been so one-track minded as of the past few years that I've tripped and fallen...

I should re-consider this. :question:

IntheLabyrinth

I always question my affirmations as if they are not good enough, so I never follow through with them. According to a book on anxiety, the best time to repeat them to yourself is after doing some type of deep breathing relaxation. I think your affirmations are really good! Does your company have any job openings? I would love to work for him too! haha...

cowboyup

It's good if you can keep it up and really stick to it. Scientifically, we can 'help nudge' our brain chemistry for the better. Almost kind of like the old saying of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if that makes sense, only in a positive light.

Keep it up & good luck :bigsmile:

IntheLabyrinth

It's good if you can keep it up and really stick to it. Scientifically, we can 'help nudge' our brain chemistry for the better. Almost kind of like the old saying of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if that makes sense, only in a positive light.

Keep it up & good luck :bigsmile:

It does make sense. I think I am going to try it again too. And actually stick with it for more than a couple of days.

cowboyup

I always question my affirmations as if they are not good enough, so I never follow through with them. According to a book on anxiety, the best time to repeat them to yourself is after doing some type of deep breathing relaxation. I think your affirmations are really good! Does your company have any job openings? I would love to work for him too! haha...

Good point, when you're in a relaxed state, both mind and body, you are receptive to the positive (and negative I suspect)

TableFor1

If you do decide to try this again, I look forward to hearing if it works for you, that’s if you’re comfortable sharing of course. I will give it a go for a month to see if I feel there are any positive changes. My list is long, so no deadlines for me.

@IntheLabyrinth I will try the deep breathing first... that's a great tip.

Last edited:

IntheLabyrinth

I actually just posted five notes on my bathroom mirror, and repeated them to myself after listening to a guided meditation on youtube. Day one down, 29 more to go. I will let you know how it goes. I hope the deep breathing helps you.

PhantomPod

I've tried this before. I never really stuck with it, but I'll have to give it a shot again and be more committed. I do have a note on my iPhone where I typed up a bunch of affirmations and positive quotes, so that I can just take out my phone and read through them when I find myself with a negative mindset.

TableFor1

@PhantomPod, that's really great... Good luck! It's just about time to give my list another read through :) *DeeEEEeeep breath*

Mousey147

I've tried doing this, but to me it always felt dishonest. I'm know what I'm good at, what I can do or accomplish, but I'm still terribly socially inept. I'm, for the most part, useless. It seems like most people seem to like me, but I can't seem to like myself at all, no matter how much positive re-enforcement or affirmations I try to give myself.

TableFor1

I've tried doing this, but to me it always felt dishonest. I'm know what I'm good at, what I can do or accomplish, but I'm still terribly socially inept. I'm, for the most part, useless. It seems like most people seem to like me, but I can't seem to like myself at all, no matter how much positive re-enforcement or affirmations I try to give myself.

Hi Mousey, I completely understand what you are saying. A couple of times while reading my list, I found myself letting out a sarcastic sigh. I'm finding it hard to believe in what I am reading. Trying to re-wire the psyche is clearly not an easy task. Whenever I get frustrated, instead and trying to be positive and looking for the good solutions, the negative thoughts take over quite quickly - easier I guess. Dunno. If there is so much time spent telling yourself what you can't do or what you aren't, it seems to become second nature. All we can do it try to do our best with what tools are out there - time will tell. Good luck to you my friend. I hope you have a great day!