Poor etiquette in emotional situations

dooby-duck

I have this problem too. It is these situations where I think people judge me the harshest as well. I don't know how to respond when people say these things. I seem unable to comfort people if someone has died or is really ill. These situations are way out of my comfort zone. I usually rely on other people to react and just stand there either grinning and smiling or looking a bit sad. If I do say something I usually make myself look stupid.

mozart87

well I'll say it straight from my heart: most of people are hypocrite, they over-exagerrete their reactions in these situations.
so my advice inspirer is not to worry. that's nothing wrong with you. if you want to be more like others just start being an actor and grab some tears when someone is speaking about someones death.

recluse

I know the feeling. There's a coworker of mine who vents her problems to everyone including me without a worry and i just stand there kind of pretending to sound concerned. I'm the worst ever when it comes to consolling o'r giving advice to people.

Same goes when something happy has happened like someone's had a baby, i can't feel excited but i just half heartedly try to sound excited.