Please allow me to [re]introduce myself...

zharl

In looking at my post history, I realized that before my recent stint in activity, the last time I was posting in these forums was 2010. Wow.

I think that merits an introduction. I'm zharl. I'm currently doing student teaching and am getting ready to enter the teaching profession. The last few years I've been pretty focused on work and studies and I find that I've neglected the whole having friends thing. I've sort of fallen into old tendencies.

My main problem now seems to be how exhausting I find human interaction to be, more than a fear of it, but I do still get anxious from time to time. Basically, I can form connections just fine; maintaining them is proving to be a bit more difficult.

For a while I thought that I had moved past SA, but I suppose like any other mental illness, it isn't something you "get over."

So...here I am. :greeting:

Last edited:
In looking at my post history, I realized that before my recent stint in activity, the last time I was posting in these forums was 2010. Wow.

I think that merits an introduction. I'm zharl. I'm currently doing student teaching and am getting ready to enter the teaching profession. The last few years I've been pretty focused on work and studies and I find that I've neglected the whole having friends thing. I've sort of fallen into old tendencies.

My main problem now seems to be how exhausting I find human interaction to be, more than a fear of it, but I do still get anxious from time to time. Basically, I can form connections just fine; maintaining them is proving to be a bit more difficult.

For a while I thought that I had moved past SA, but I suppose like any other mental illness, it isn't something you "get over."

So...here I am. :greeting:
Welcome back zharl. :thumbup:
I tip my hat to anyone beginning a career in the teaching profession nowadays.
While teachers seemed to have too much power in the old days, the table has turned too far in the other direction and it is an increasingly hard job now that the students seem to have all the power on their side. :/

zharl

Welcome back zharl. :thumbup:
I tip my hat to anyone beginning a career in the teaching profession nowadays.
While teachers seemed to have too much power in the old days, the table has turned too far in the other direction and it is an increasingly hard job now that the students seem to have all the power on their side. :/

While I appreciate the welcome, I disagree with your characterization of students and teachers! The way you've described our relationship puts us in direct opposition, when many teachers--including myself--have their students as their number one priority. What teachers are at odds with has more to do with how heavily politicized education is. Outside organizations that try to institute reform without understanding how education and classrooms work are a very large threat as well. If anything I feel that both students and teachers are victims of a broken educational system--at least here in the US. Really, neither of us have much power on a large scale. Yes, there is still autonomy within individual classrooms, but even that autonomy is diminishing.

I could say more, but I'd rather not. Honestly, I'm too exhausted to really formulate my thoughts. If there's an education thread somewhere, I'll happily join in the discussion. As of now, my brain is kind of fried. Hey, if there isn't one, maybe I'll start it. :)