Pink Floyd: The Wall

false

Does anyone else think this album is describing someone with social anxiety, specifically avoidant personailty disorder? I can't get over some of the lyrics.

The entire "wall" concept is simple enough to imagine...someone building a "wall" between themselves and the real world to protect themselves, then suddenly realizing they want back out, but can't.

I think the lyrics "there must have been a door there in the wall, when I came in" in the last song of the second disc really cinch how I feel today. I built the wall but now I want out. Yet I can't.

Of course the judge orderes the destruction of "the wall" and sentences the protaganist to be "exposed before his peers" at the end, but one thing I can't figure out is who the judge represents.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Thanks for reading.

COALPORTER

I THOUGHT THE WHOLE ALBUM WAS ABOUT SID BARRET OR ROGER WATERS CRAPPY CHILDHOOD OR HIS DAD GETTING KILLED IN WAR OR SOMETHING. 8O :?:

Remus

Staff member
my favourite album of all time!!!!

as my my avatar proves lol

yes I totally connect with the album after having childhood trauma and a breakdown myself

Tryin

false said:
Does anyone else think this album is describing someone with social anxiety, specifically avoidant personailty disorder? I can't get over some of the lyrics.

I love this album. It makes me feel that I am not alone or abnormal or anything. Because we all (and I do not mean only SAD sufferers, but every single one on this planet) do have moments when we feel down and a bit (or more) social phobic. We are all crazy and we all struggle and suffer and have to destruct our walls. And we are all the same.

false

Hey I thought no one was ever going to reply to this, lol.

To the guy in all caps:
I admit I am rather young and I am sure many pot smoking scientists have analyzed the album over the years to determine exactly what he was singing about; I should have made it more clear that this was more my interpretation than anything else about the album.

Even though I was like.........6 when this album came out I really enjoy listening to it, and usually listen to some of one of the discs each day, in my car.

Thanks for the responses!

edit - yes, I have seen the movie, although I forget most of it due to my "state of mind" at the time. My friends convinced me there was only one way to experience that movie...

Kasini

Hell yes, when this album came out and I heard it, I immediately felt an affinity with it...

mikebird

Banned
I discovered Pink Floyd piece-by piece. I think Atom Heart Mother was the best material, in the '70s.

Even the latest Division Bell was pretty good - based on a lack of communication in the age it was released - all about divorce, and not getting on.

The Wall seemed a bit brainless - based on schoolboy rebellion - but I need to look into it more now.

I was reading an amazing book about Syd Barrett - 'A Very Irregular Head' when I joined this forum.

Kasini

The Wall seemed a bit brainless - based on schoolboy rebellion - but I need to look into it more now.

Wow, really? Yes, look into it more...in fact sit down and listen to the whole album from beginning to end.