Photograph Time

sarbob

hi,

I have only recently discovered that I suffer from SA - thank god i actually know whats up with me now!

I am a confident, happy person but i get so nervous and anxious in certain situations its unbelievable. I sweat, get clamy hands and blush FURIOUSLY. The blushig is like a viscious circle, as soon as i know its happening i think about it more and it gets worse.

I've been at my new job for a few months now and have had a few embarrasing moments which i'm yet to live down. I feel very awkward around my colleagues and tend to avoid conversations in case i blush. I'm not like this with my friends or my family.

We are having our photographs taken in a few days and I'm already blushing thinking of this. How can i calm myself down and relax for these photos?

Linds

wow that sounds a lot like me.in some aspects or situations i can be very confident in myself then in others i'm a nervous wreck. I blush a lot too so i feel your pain i also get the flushing thing which becomes very annoying and embarassing. I too avoid conversations in case i start blushing, it kinda sucks tho because i've been called a snob because of it a lot. i'm really not a snob i'm just scared of it going badly and being thought of as dumb or having a crush on them because i blush.
Anyway for your pic situation some advice i can give is to stay away from caffine its a major player in causing anxiety. other than that all i can tell you is that its just a pic, everyone hates them and knows they never look as good as u do in person so try not to worry about it too much. (easier said than done i know)
I hope everything works out well for you. Best of luck.
Linds

Hope

sarbob said:
We are having our photographs taken in a few days and I'm already blushing thinking of this. How can i calm myself down and relax for these photos?

Having the same problem, I know precisely how you feel. My worst situation was always the annual work pictures that got posted in the hallway for everyone (and that was thousands) to see.

There was a very similar thread here about 2yr ago, so you're not alone.

As for advice, aside from taking a med (e.g. a benzodiazapine) to calm down, I can only suggest looking away slightly from the camera and thinking of other thoughts at that moment. I'm not too bad at 'action' shots, but posed looking-right-into-the-camera shots are a nightmare for me.

Also looking for advice from others on this.

sarbob

thanks for the replies, glad its not just me that feels this way!

I'm having hypnotherapy next week - hopefully it will help, i'll let you know how that goes.

I just can't stand this whole thing. I look at other people and wonder why i'm so different. i'm almost jealous of them, why are they so confident? How the hell do they cope in situations where i feak out completly?

sarbob

thanks for the replies, glad its not just me that feels this way!

I'm having hypnotherapy next week - hopefully it will help, i'll let you know how that goes.

I just can't stand this whole thing. I look at other people and wonder why i'm so different. i'm almost jealous of them, why are they so confident? How the hell do they cope in situations where i feak out completly?

maude_lynn

I can completely relate.

I recently started a new job, and I've already got a reputation as "that really shy girl". I am often teased about it by colleagues - always in a friendly way, but it still makes me feel horribly embarrassed. I wish I could just carry on a normal coversation without feeling so self-conscious.