Phoning a Mate when you are having an ocd attack

One of my friends god bless when i have thought of something he's said to me in the street/in person and i think it over and over and over then i go into the whole reassurance thing and i call him up and every time i say to him "I hope i'm not bothering you" and he always "no you're not" and one time i even thought i should apologise to him and i did in person and he said to me apologising was a bit over the top!.

Like i call him about an hour ago to invite him to this political meeting/dinner thing and i was on 5 mins and he told he would think about it and tell me next time he seen me and he had to go as his dinner was on the boil. And i told my mate who gets the tickets and he said he needed to know asap incase the tickets run out so i said i would call my mate back about 8 tonight and i told my mum and she said"you will be pestering him" and that triggeed an ocd attack, i truly truly never intend to be a pest to my mates i just want to be friendly and when an ocd attack grips you well IT grips you!!!.

There have been many times as well that i have called my mate when having an ocd attack totally unconnected to him and trying to get reassurance from him!

Anyone been in the same situation as me??

Feathers

Well I don't know about that, I really really hate the idea of pestering people too.. And it's difficult to know sometimes when it's 'pestering' or important information etc. Sometimes it IS important to find out things.. It depends how badly you want to go to the thing, and how long the official tickets will be available, is there usually great demand for this sort of thing or not.. When would your mate get the tix? Can he or you go get them at a later time too?

Maybe you can text your friend? Or just call on the cell phone? (I unplug mine if I go to sleep/want peace) or just apologize and say what you told us and that you need to to know asap? (It's a bit late now, some people don't like being called after 8 pm - it depends on the person tho.) You know your friend best, probably better than your mom..

Worst case, even if you do bother him a bit, he'll still be your friend.. a small phone call won't change that.. true friendship is stronger than that.. If I have to think things through sometimes I hate to be pressured and may say 'no thanks then' or 'I need to sleep it over' so if your friend is anything like that you might hear something like that too..

Scottish, you're a friendly person so I hope you can get past what your mum said! Parents can sometimes say things without thinking how they will affect young ones...!! And hope everything works out well..

Well I don't know about that, I really really hate the idea of pestering people too.. And it's difficult to know sometimes when it's 'pestering' or important information etc. Sometimes it IS important to find out things.. It depends how badly you want to go to the thing, and how long the official tickets will be available, is there usually great demand for this sort of thing or not.. When would your mate get the tix? Can he or you go get them at a later time too?

Maybe you can text your friend? Or just call on the cell phone? (I unplug mine if I go to sleep/want peace) or just apologize and say what you told us and that you need to to know asap? (It's a bit late now, some people don't like being called after 8 pm - it depends on the person tho.) You know your friend best, probably better than your mom..

Worst case, even if you do bother him a bit, he'll still be your friend.. a small phone call won't change that.. true friendship is stronger than that.. If I have to think things through sometimes I hate to be pressured and may say 'no thanks then' or 'I need to sleep it over' so if your friend is anything like that you might hear something like that too..

Scottish, you're a friendly person so I hope you can get past what your mum said! Parents can sometimes say things without thinking how they will affect young ones...!! And hope everything works out well..

Hey! Thanks for that feathers! it went all well,Phone call was cool. he does understand my ocd as i've explained it to him more and ive told him i
never want nor mean to annoy him ,sometimes i just cant help(compulsion) when in a episode to call him at times.

He does not have a cell phone and it's his house phone i've called/call.............. a lot! And he decided he didnt want to go to the meeting which is fair enough.

Feathers as i said There have been many times as well that i have called my mate when having an ocd attack totally unconnected to him and trying to get reassurance from him!

Last edited: