People without social phobia just dont understand.

VitalSign

People are always making fun of me and telling me how stupid it is that i have social
phobia and telling me that I'm just full of myself..they just don't understand....
do you have any stories/experiences something like this?

Section_31

i unfortunately couldnt agree more with you. Non-mutants (them) as i call them dont understand mutants (us). Or very few do ive found.

Many in my family humor me, they SAY they understand and appear patient. But their actions are contrary and speak otherwise. If i could "just do it" or "push through" i sure as hell would!!. I dont enjoy feeling this way!.

ugh, sorry, mild rant there. In short, yes, i agree.

MarionBerry

Only one person knows I have social phobia. They totally understand and are accommodating to me....everyone else thinks I'm a flake.

Section_31

I think its because, while many will deny this, theres still a very big stigma with mental illness. Or phobias. Particularly in alot of the older generation (not all! just some! before i get the rage mails!).

Thinking about my dads era. When he was younger in the 50's it was simple, if you had somthign wrong with you, you were essentially institutionalized, possibly lobomatized, or your family kept you in the attic or basement like a dark secret. And people tend to be usually very slow to accept the validity of medical studies vs passed down knowledge.

It sucks, but i think this attitude will be quite prevalent for another 2 or 3 generations at least, because many even in gen y dont believe in mental illness. I used to be one.

all we can do is take care of ourselves the best we can, if you end up having children, be as explanatory to them as possible, show them you understand and care. And maybe they'll be different from us.

Foxface

People are always making fun of me and telling me how stupid it is that i have social
phobia and telling me that I'm just full of myself..they just don't understand....
do you have any stories/experiences something like this?

True. My Dad things my problems are just a faze. He dosen't ike me taking medication for my depression, becuase since I am not hard to get up out of bed, outgoing, that I must not have depression.

My social phobia is mostly with girls, which is my top 3 problems.