Patent filed Oct. 2009 - modulate Central Nerve System

grimaldi

I would like to draw everyone's attention to a patent filed Oct. 2009: SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR SELECTIVELY STIMULATING NERVE ROOTS - Patent Application 20090270935

It is used to help cardiovascular diseases and likewise by stimulating the Central Nervous System with electricity. Here is a "summary":

Sympathetic over activation is involved in a variety of cardiovascular disease, such as ventricular arrhythmias, myocardial infarction (MI), heart failure (HF), etc. Therapies that are based on autonomic modulation have shown efficacy in a variety of cardiovascular diseases in both preclinical and clinical studies. The autonomic balance can be modulated to have more parasympathetic tone by stimulating parasympathetic targets or inhibiting sympathetic targets, and can be modulated to have more sympathetic tone by stimulating sympathetic targets or inhibiting parasympathetic targets.

This should be of interest to persons that went through ETS and to persons that are considering it due to hyperhidrosis. The device is said to be able to stimulate sympathetic as well as parasympathetic tone as needed, in order to find a balance between them two.

Among it claims can be seen:

13. A method, comprising: using a neural stimulation lead fed vertically through a dorsal epidural space of a human and at least partially wrapped around a spinal cord, delivering electrical stimulation pulses to at least one of: a ventral nerve root to stimulate or inhibit efferent sympathetic activity from the ventral nerve root; or a dorsal nerve root to stimulate afferent sympathetic activity from the ventral nerve root.

21. The method of claim 13, wherein the neural stimulation lead is at least partially wrapped around a spinal cord proximate to a vertebrae corresponding to at least one of T1, T2, T3, T4 or T5.

Obviously, blushers/sweaters as well as post-ETS patients are too small of a group to target for research. This is now used to help heart patients, but with my humble knowledge it could also be used as 1) an "ETS light" that inhibits the sympathetic tone instead of interrupting it totally 2) increase what is left of the sympathetic tone for patients that underwent ETS.

What do anyone reckon for this patent as be used to help hyperhidrosis?

Thanks.

grimaldi

It's unbelievable no how little attention is payed to this post. Here we have a new patent, potential cure for the problem that destroys our lives. The only thing we need to do is approach them doctors.

Come on!

HH Assassin

What do you propose we do about this?
Start some kind of petition?
I would be down to support that or start it up if I knew where to run with it.

hb72

Maybe we should send it over to the people at sweathelp.org they would have the contacts to get this info out.

oliver1106

Good idea!

If I ever get rich, guys, I'm going to donate a bunch of money to HH research and a CURE!!:D

hello, greetings from Spain. I too have thought many times to create an account where you donate money (or the obligation to give, lest they steal some smartass) to the laboratory, or person to discover or bring to light a solution for hyperhidrosis, a little that it undertook each, would be a great fortune. imainad who had an account with U.S. $ 3 million, this would encourage further research.
The news of this post, I do not understand much, do you explain me better what it says? I am using the google translator.

A saludazo for all

Sprawling

I wish someone can translate the medical jargon into something a lay person can understand. It sounds like something that works at the same frequency as our sympathetic nervous system and some how might be able to block sweating???? I'm just guessing here. Anybody willing to translate the meaning?

grimaldi

Hello guys,

I didn't log in to my account for about a month, but when I did today, I had some private messages concerning this thread.

My reason for being inactive is, that sometimes it gets too much, I think about HH/blushing all the time and it takes energy, time and confidence away. The downside with being inactive, obviously, is that it is impossible to find a cure if you don't actively search for one.

Having said that, my past month have been OK. Naturally, HH/blushing have forced me to pursue things I would otherwise engage in, but the weather has been OK, which makes a huge difference for me.

I noticed an enormous difference when drinking and eating "correctly," as I have been out being totally **** faced three times this week, clinging to fast food and coffee to getting through the hangovers. And I am sweating way more this Sunday than is the case after a week of healthy living.

OK, let's get back to the subject of this thread.

First of all, my mother tongue is not English, but I am fighting hard to find, read, translate and share material that could potentially relieve mine and other people's problems.

I encourage you all to do the same. There is really not much innovative with coming to forums and complain about this and that, ranting on about how miserable your life is. And when people on this forum ask other people to translate this thread for them - where is your energy, motivation and charisma to solve your own problems? The god damn article are right here, at the top of the board, just pull your sleeves up in comprehending it!

Without getting too deep into the subject, the CENTRAL NERVE SYSTEM is composed by a SYMPATHETIC and a PARASYMPATHETIC part.

For those of you who, like me, sweats when anxious, it is almost for sure due to an over active SYMPATHETIC part of the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

When performing ETS surgery, what is done is cutting of or clamping different levels of the SYMPATHETIC part. This however, will lead to unwanted side effects; what we would like to have is NOT something that cuts of totally certain parts of the SYMPATHETIC part, but just lower the activity throughout the entire SYMPATHETIC "chain" (It looks like a chain, going through the upper body to hypothalamus in the brain).

There are currently research being done with magnetics to lower the activity of the SYMPATHETIC chain. But according to doctors it will be possible to use a decade from, maybe even longer. What have here is already something similar, that decreases (or modules) the activity in the SYMPATHETIC chain.

We need to draw the doctor's attention to our problem, that can potentially be relieved with this method.

In the medical world, blushing and sweating is seen mainly as a "cosmetic problem" because it doesn't threat your life directly. Obviously, we all know that it stretches way behind being only cosmetic.

The patent targets heart patients. What we must do is making it clear for the doctor's that there is enough request among us sufferers to make it profitable to use the method for HH and blushing as well!

We should have an over confidence on the medical world, politicians or regulations of any kind. If we want our problems to be solved, we will have to ACT by ourselves, read about the patent, contact the doctors, let them know we are out here in numbers!

We have all to win by notify them that we need this. If you want to complain about problems, that's fair enough, but it wont solve anything.

To solve something, one must act.

Jezza

Not all problems that are confronted can be solved, but for a problem to be solved, it needs to be confronted first...

I know what you mean...I have a ton of medical journals here and have sent out emails to various authors of these journals on multiple occassions. Sometimes you hear something back, sometimes you don't...

Although it's a relatively small group of people with HH though you'd think these pharmaceutical companies would realise the huge financial earnings potential there is out there to come up with some kind of med people are willing to pay for and will be loyal customers of. We're still talking about 10s of millions of people with HH, but above and beyond that multitudes more normal people without HH in the developed world where appearance is everything who have a drop of sweat under their arms every now and then will still run to their docs and pharmacies to get this med...

It would be huge value, but apparently they don't see that...

I've also sent some mails to bayer, allergan and merck, but the response was no reaction, no priority and we're always looking for new oppertunities but it's not on our radar right now, respectively.

Jezza

Some of that is already some time ago...I should press on more, but then again because I stupidly decided not to go to med school those years back, for these people the perceived probability I'm a nutter is of course way higher than the probability they will actually take a good look at what I have to say.