Parents just dont understand

planemo

hey chakra, haven't seen u on the forums for a while... hope you're ok.

My parents have given up on me being like the rest of my community although when i was younger they basically forced me to conform. It's better to tell them I think, and try to explain the differences between SAD and other forms of mental illness. I'm sure that your parents won't rank along side those you name. Being transparent is most times much better then hiding your true feelings.

maiato

Banned
If u live in a little community is much better to say the truth. But prepare that moment to explain all the differences. Don't people just understand what they want. Like is a failure or is schi or all other willness. I think u will feel much better after. Although i dont advice to tell to everyone or u might feel awkward when u pass by them. Tell to the essential people. Good luck ; )

Emperor

I think my parents don't know that I'm suffering from social anxiety, they want me to do many things that I don't like to do, and they want me to go out and meet new people, it's so annoying :(

laure15

I think my parents don't know that I'm suffering from social anxiety, they want me to do many things that I don't like to do, and they want me to go out and meet new people, it's so annoying :(

Same here. My dad used to force me to go to his family gatherings, which is very uncomfortable and sometimes embarassing for me. He kept telling me to "stop being a turtle and stick your head out." It's annoying. I think my culture places a huge stigma on mental illnesses; people who have mental disorders are called 'stupid' and are shunned.