Panic Attacks Going Over Bridges

no_bridges

Started when I entered menopause so I believe there is definitely a horomonal connection. I am fearful of the thought of getting "stuck" on the bridge with no way out. Heart starts racing even before I get to the bridge, shaking in my car, dizziness, really bad scene. It takes a while for me to calm down before I can get over but I am whipped when all of this is through. I say that I must take a few months off of my life each time I go through this stress to my body.

Wouldn't you know it ... I have to take a major bridge to get to work each day. Sometimes just saying the word bridge ... my stomach knots. I am attempting vitamin therapy. Ativan takes the edge off but I do not want to get used to this since I've heard some scary things about withdrawal.

Any suggestions?

RedRibbons

I'm not really sure. Maybe it would help if you made a plan in your mind, if you were to get stuck on the bridge. Plan out what you would do. How you would get off the bridge etc. And remind yourself of this plan every time you cross the bridge.

Also, think about how there would be other people there to help you if you were to get stuck. People aren't going to just drive by you and leave you there. I promise.

In your mind, if you get stuck, what is the worst thing that could happen?

schmoopy

Yikes, that's rough. It's funny, i used to have terrible anxiety - but even then bridges never seemed to bother me.

Now planes, that was another story...

Have you tried deep breathing exercises in the car?

After you've recognized the attack, begin to count in your head. Count 1,2,3,4 -- 1,2,3,4 -- 1,2,3,4 pausing on the dashes and so on. Now you might be thinking:

"Hey, that's easier said than done. When I'm having an attack I can't even think."

That's why you're not going to say or even think the numbers. You're going to breath the numbers.

Take a deep breath in through your nose for the 1 and 2. Then take a deep breath out through your mouth for the 3 and 4. Practice this routine for a few minutes a day until it becomes an automated exercise for you.

Practicing really helps a lot. If you practice in a controlled environment, when a Panic Attack hits, this self-defense mechanism will seem routine.