Panic Attacks during GCSE's

Jodie-Tyler

People in year 11, and go to school in England with SA will know what I'm talking about.

I have a few weeks to go until I complete ALL my GCSE's. I go to my friends house in the morning and we walk to school together. But there are days when I have an exam and she doesn't.

I didn't realise how bad my social anxiety was until today. My heart was pounding, my breathing was rapid and it's a GCSE, so I can't just walk away and come back when I'm ready, I HAD to go in.

I'm afraid that someone will approach me having noticed I'm breathing heavily and asking what's wrong, which will make me have a huge panic attack.
Has ANYONE found ANY way to calm themselves when in a large crowd that you CAN NOT walk away from?????

mummylala

Hi, i know exactly how you feel. I was the exact same when i did my gcse's (i was pregnant while doing mine which also didnt help) im like it now if i HAVE TO deal with a crowd.
I often found that when headn to an exam or anything i stuck the headphones in and listened to music while looking through notes for the exam i had to take.
It seemed to work, no one really bothered me cause they thought i was doing a bit of last minute revision lol

overcome.

I remember the GCSE's well. I did well in them, got all B's and C's mostly, but I had major problems with anxiety around this time. I remember getting my desk moved to the back of a large hall during the Science exam after I threw up in the toilets. I developed what I discovered a while ago to be panic disorder, during the GCSE's. It didn't come from nothing, I've suffered with generalised anxiety since 14. I guess it all adds up and contributes in some way.

westminster

Be as competitive with your fellow crowd as you can. Really want to beat them. Be angry. Work yourself into a competitive silence, and focus on the paper in front of you. No-one is focusing on you in there, only on their exam. You're as anonymous as can be.

Last edited:

Jodie-Tyler

The headphone idea is really great! I have two exams 2moro, meaning I'll be at school all day like a normal pupil, but I really like just going in for an hour or so for one exam a day.

Although I can't really work myself into a competitive streak cos it's all a bit too late for that now, and I'm not sure I agree with 'no one is looking at me' cos alot of people get bored, or get writers block and look around; knowing this makes me think and and evaluate every move before I make it.

overcome.

I know my last post pretty much focused on the negative, sorry, but here's one thing to remember. Everybody is feeling the same way you are, the difference is that you have knowledge to overcome and deal with this anxiety, they most likely don't. You're a step ahead with the knowledge, and knowledge is power.