panic attack description

Sue

i dont know if this will be too personal for some of you guys but if it is at all possible can you describe what happens to you when you have these particular attacks.

for me i shake a lot and shake, i find it hard to breathe and my eyes go all funny. eveything seems to be so sereal.it comes out of no where and always happens when i try to give up cigarettes. a real pain in the ass because i hate smoking.

there are other reasons for these panick attacks but im afraid that i would rather not share it at this time. i dont fully understand it if you get my meaning.

I haven't had a panic attack in a while, but I'll try and remember clearly.

I always feel sick, my heart beats against my chest and it feels like it's going to break through my chest, stomach pains, constant shaking, all noise seems amplified, and my brain just freaks out and panics, kinda feels like the whole world is swirling, feels very disorinated. Also I find it very hard to breathe, and I get a very dry mouth.

Hope that helps

Naomi x

Anonymous

This is what I feel during panic

Dry Mouth
Tingling all over my body but usually on my back or my head
Nausea
I see spots and my vision gets blurry
Think that I'm going insane
Feel under the influence of drugs (that surreal feeling you were talking about)
Shaking
Fast heart beat
Chills/hot flashes

neurotic_monkey

when i have panic attacks my body starts to shake and i begin to cry i get all hold my teeth begin to chatter n i get all worried n trip out n go in a corner n hover for a while its horrible when it happens in school in front of classes cuz i get forced to speak in front of class. its sooo embarrasing i hate it but i also dont want every1 to know y i cant hell until last week i never even knew about this i just thought i was wierd n had some problem no one would ever understand and then i got stuck havin to choose a probject in health science n i chose phobias n came across this n im soo glad i got stuck with this school assignment for a final guess bad things turn out good in the end sometimes

Oddball

I know most people with panic attacks fear that there is somthing phyisically wrong with their body, but when I have them I'm always afraid of going Insane and ever since I started having panic attacks I've developed a phobia for it..I upsess weather I'm going insane or not..I think about it like 60% of my time, I'm constantly thinking I have a latent mental problem about to come out...does anyone else feel this way?

testobot

Oddball said:
I know most people with panic attacks fear that there is somthing phyisically wrong with their body, but when I have them I'm always afraid of going Insane and ever since I started having panic attacks I've developed a phobia for it..I upsess weather I'm going insane or not..I think about it like 60% of my time, I'm constantly thinking I have a latent mental problem about to come out...does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, I guess that is in part due to the fact that I have a brother who is schizorphrenic. I think that I am out of the average age range for developing it though. Basically, the difference between us having panic attacks and fearing going insane and actually being schizophrenic is that alot of schizophrenics either do not realize that they have a mental problem or either are in denial about it. like the saying goes "if I know that I am going crazy, then I must not be insane."

Anywho, relax.... the feeling of going crazy is due to anxiety. I thankfully haven't had a panic attack in ages. But, realizing that I wasn't going to have a stroke (because my head hurt + I have high blood pressure) or go insane always got me through the panic attack and I ended up learning how to either avoid a panic attack or talk myself down.

But, anyways a sidenote- my syptoms were:

extremely fast beating heart
dizziness accompanied with pressure and aching in my head
fear of going crazy or loosing it

This dreamy state that you are feeling is called derealization. I would even see spots! It felt like I was outside of my body. This is a normal process of a panic attack. It can lasts for several hours after an attack occurs. It's totally normal. Its because of the chemicals your body releases during an attack. Check out my blogs ill be talking about this at some point.

kyuusho

My symptoms vary depending on severity, but I can get:

-Feeling like I can't breathe
-Heart pounding
-Can't see straight
-can't speak
-Head swimming/Headache
-Shaking/sweating
-A feeling like I just want to get away/feeling claustrophobic
-Feeling like I am losing my mind/scattered thoughts

JamesGurl

crazyfairyx said:
I haven't had a panic attack in a while, but I'll try and remember clearly.

I always feel sick, my heart beats against my chest and it feels like it's going to break through my chest, stomach pains, constant shaking, all noise seems amplified, and my brain just freaks out and panics, kinda feels like the whole world is swirling, feels very disorinated. Also I find it very hard to breathe, and I get a very dry mouth.

Hope that helps

Naomi x

Same for me

shovelhead

Some of the feelings...

- Pounding Heart (hitting chest wall kind of feeling)
- Accelerated Heart Rate
- Sweating palms
- Excess Energy
- Sense of impending doom
- A feeling of just wanting to pop (hard to describe)
- Light headed
- Tight breathing (lump in throat)
- Feel sick
- Body shakes

Shattered

Sure.. I get a lot of symptoms. The uncontrollable shaking, hard to breathe, pins and needles in my fingers and toes, the funny vision thing you were talking about. I also get involuntary muscle spasms and cramping (which makes me look possessed), nausea.. Two things that happen with me I never really see mentioned anywhere though, is vomiting and fainting. I do those as well.

Edit: Also the pounding heartbeat and racing thoughts as well.

shovelhead

Shattered said:
Two things that happen with me I never really see mentioned anywhere though, is vomiting and fainting.

That sux (fainting), I have only done that once from a panic attack (after taking paxil) and it was a bloody horrible feeling. Well leading up to it was, although afterwards I was kinda calm (I guess I reset)...

Septor

Wow fainting that's hard.Even at the worse of times I never had that.That most be really hard to handle. :(

jshubie

Heres some help for anyone suffereing from panic attacks. First of all, im not a doctor at all (I do quite a bit of reading on health related topics and especially on alternative medcine), but I am just like all of you: I get really bad panic attacks with all the usual symptoms: pounding heart, palpitations, hyperventilation, tunnel vision, spinning head, feeling of like head pressure or something, tingling in the extrememties and sometimes in the head, nausea, intense feeling that im going to die or go nuts (thats the worst one), then when its all over im left hazy, tired, etc... The one thing I have noticed is that my panic attacks come in spurts over time. For example, I had them in college in spurts, then was clear for about a year, and now here I am in my first job and just went through about a month of awful attacks. I think that some of our nervous systems just arent wired to deal with the constant pressures that modern life puts on us, hence we freak out. I also noticed that this set of attacks coincided with high work stress, high emotional stress, a lack of exercise, poor eating, and smoking marijuana (yeah, im pretty much killing myself from the inside out!). I remember a particular attack after smoking cannabis where I almost checked myself into the hospital (I remember thinking to myself "see! this is why my parents told me not to do drugs!") Heres the deal though: they dont have to consume your lives, as im sure you already know. I started myself on a good diet, got some exercise, and hit up the health food store for some herbal remedies. Here is my current supplement routine that is working WONDERS.

- Two pills per day of Magnesium: this is an important mineral in nervous system function. It is often depleted in our cases. Im taking this without expecting short term results. Ill allow it to build up over time and make my nervous system healthier

-Holy Basil (in pill form): do some research. This is an herb with its roots in Indian (India) ayurvedic mediciine with a lot of health benefits. It seems to be most noted for promoting calmness and a general sense of well being to those who take it. It does not build up in your system, so you need to take it regularly.

-Bach Rescue Remedy Spray: this is used by even famous people. again, do your research but it works wonders. Its a spray that you use at the first sign of an attack and it seems to stop it right in its tracks.

So far so good. Everything is completely herbal, so no chance of side effects. I wanted to try this route first, without taking meds, and it seems to have worked. I feel general more relaxed (im usually just a tense person) and I havent had any attacks in about a week (I was getting them twice or three times a day for a month). Sometimes I feel like im about to have an attack and it just goes away. So, im thinking it might be worth a try for those of you who have the same problems. good luck!

babyrabbit

When I have a panic attack I get
::Racing heart
::Hot sweats
::pins and needles through out my whole body
::Dizzy
::Eye sight goes all black
::Sick to my stomach
::A feeling like i'm detached from my body

With a reall bad attack I get all of those at the same time.

shipost

Me for:

-Sweat like mad
-Head feels like thousands of needles are sticking in me and my head gets soaking wet with sweat.
-Legs start shaking.
-Hands start shaking
-lip starts trembling
-heart beat goes insane
-forget to breath and try concentrate on breathing
-everything seems so distant
-weak
-muscle ache
-second is like 1 hour

then after the attack im starving.

cammo

Detachment from my body - that's the one that really makes me question my sanity sometimes (especially when I didn't know what panic attacks were).
Sweats
heart pulpitations
nausea
glazed vision
feeling of impending doom
despair
a smothering type feeling
shaking
chills down my spine
a sensation of a twisting of my stomach
hyperventilation
weakness
'lightening bolts' of anxiousness exploding from my gut

riverbelow

i didn't know what it was at first but from reading everyones posts it sounds like what i go through.

vision goes black
i feel really hot (my whole body, and then it travels to the back of my head)
i feel sick to my stomach
my legs get shaky
difficulty breathing

i have only passed out once but it was my first time. they seem to happen after i drink alcohol, and im not drunk anymore (its kind of hard to explain)

does this sound similar to anyone?

lansell

for me

my first attack was in the car. I was looking down, i came up and everything went black and then ca,me back to normal. That scared the crap out of me then suddenly my throat just clenched up in half a second and I couldnt breath, i didnt know why but I was gasping for breath. We pulled over and i was saying 'iwant to go to the hospital i cant breathe!!' mum made me get out the car to get my breath back an di was fine.

I got home and sat down and every 5 mins id feel like I was going to faint. By panicing and crying it makes it worse. Did you know that? I do now.. not at the time though, i cryed like a baby. Mum rang a doc and described my symptoms and they got an ambulance. When i knew they were sending one i felt a bit better. My brother sat by me..cuddling me and helping me breath. But still, every 5 mins I felt i was going to faint. the ambulance took 45 mins!! AWFUL! as soo as the man came i felt better. My hands were numb though and stuck in a claw possition, i couldnt move them! (this is because of my breathing) and thy were sweaty. I was getting heart palputations (strong fast heartbeat) and apparently my pulse was raacing.

Hospital they told me it was a PA. I was releaved but each time i get one i still worry that its comething more but we all have to remember, were not ILL!!