Oh no, forced contact!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
So I just found out my track team is doing a "Big brother/Little brother" within the team. Freshman get paired upped with seniors, and in the email it said..

"There is only one requirement expected of the big brother/ little brother pairings. You are to meet with your big brother or little brother 2wice a month and just learn more about them. This can be as little as 10 minutes but longer is just fine."

Now if you know most athletes they are very loud and outgoing, especially a senior in college. How am I going to do this? I mean on paper it sounds great, forces me to talk to people. In reality it's just going to be awkward for everyone, one more thing I don't need right now. It's just,....arrgg.

HeadFace

Be awkward.
Make them feel awkward.
Laugh about it :D
Lol, it's what I'd do... Go in expecting the worst, and you'll be relieved it won't be that bad... I mean just make a few minutes of small talk. Nothing too bad, you know? I know even that won't be incredibly easy for people with SA/SP... Just try not to make this too bad for yourself

Predacon

I think just stay calm, from the information you've provided above it doesn't look like it will take up much of your time. Just try to get them talking in things they're interested in and the 10 minutes will fly by I'm sure.

Jake123

Banned
Yeah sometimes loud people are quiet on a one-to-one basis, which can actually be quite disconcerting.

Feathers

Well, I think it's actually a great program!

You can just prepare a set of questions, stuff you'd actually like to know about your school or classes, especially if they study anything similar to what you are studying.. Talking to senior years was of GREAT help when I was at University.. They could tell me stuff about professors, which classes to take or exam requirements...

If you are in the track team, you could also get helpful info on how to balance sports/studying/having a life and such.. Or which professors are most sympathetic to sportsy people and might help with any requirements or you might have 'bonus points' with just for being in the team? (And which ones to watch out for and never use sports as an excuse..)

There may be tips for better running or such that you can exchange too, like training tips, ask how they train outside the track team, what nutrition they take and how are they happy with it, etc? (Though be careful about any food supplements or such!!) How they balance training with overall lifestyle, etc?

Or you can ask how come they came into the track team, or their further ambitions, or any moneymaking or sponsorship experiences, etc. Lots of interesting stuff to find out, maybe.
They may have work experience or internships or future jobs they are looking for or maybe even have secured and their experience there can be helpful.. (How to go about that etc.) They might also help later with contacts if you get along well, can introduce you to people etc..

Also, if you're in the track team, that means you are an athlete too (running)?
So I think people in track teams can be different.. And even people who are usually 'loud' in group can be okay, or normal, or even 'quiet' 1 on 1.. Yeah.. Just check if there's stuff they can actually help you with, or talk about things that interest you both...

I know a few girls who were athletes and they were really quite awesome and great to talk to.. They did say some in their team were more into partying and such, so I guess it depends who you 'get'.. Even then you may try to find some common points of interest that you both are interested in.. (Even partygoers may wish a successful future and successful running too, no? If they'd really turn out to be a bad moral influence, eg just talk about parties, girls and alcohol and getting wasted, and just encourage you to do the same, you could ask for someone else..?)

Also know that 'last years' may feel like they have to 'enjoy the last bits' of their 'youth and freedom' before selling their soul to the corporate world and joining cubicle nation or such, sometimes.. So just take it all with a grain of salt.

If you really don't click with your 'Big Brother' maybe you can ask to be teamed up with someone else, or perhaps even ask ahead, if you know someone who'd be a good role model or help? Or mutually agree on minimizing the program.. (Or use what HeadFace says as 'last strategy' if nothing else works..) The idea is for them to help you, and I think it's good to see it that way..

Be upbeat and friendly at first, and rather general.. If you see a person is friendly and sympathetic, you can maybe then later on talk about 'deeper' stuff too..

Last edited: