OFF TOPIC: What I thought of US poll results

wistful_dementia

open to discussion

in a very simplified little nutshell: fear, ignorance, and religion has allowed this to happen. The only hope that the world may have is to try to educate and influence us silly, arrogant americans... in a positive way i mean... cuz what happens when someone strikes out in retaliation or pure emotion? The ignorant and simpleminded will strike back out of pure defensiveness. No thought, just emotion. The US = a great big Ogre like savant- sure we are good at technology ,entrepreneurship, McDonalds, pop-art, building weapons, and mindless-evangelical teachings, but not too much else I don't think- especially regarding teaching our masses to be philosophical, independent thinkers. Maybe this is wrong, and this maybe harsh, but I think that it is most likely true.
Jeeze, this world needs balance :roll:

Yossarian

Wisful you forgot allmost all modern forms of music and cinema which have probably been the most influencial and popular art forms of the last century, mass production, the simpsons, other must see television shows too numerous to mention, two world wars and I can hardly not mention Catch 22 can I.

I can't be arsed to think of any more. I don't like this holier than thou America bashing which seems so popular these days. A country so vast and diverse is beyond my ability to stereotype. Plus it's not like anyone other country is beyond criticism, esp the previous superpowers.

We had some really good documentaries around the election time. I stongly recommend a three parter called The Power of Nightmares if you ever get the chance to watch. It's not faultless by any means but it's definately worth watching.

-Jp

i personaly have never bashed america, just bush. because i think his judgement is that of a fool. i hope he will prove me wrong though.

wistful_dementia

well, I didn't want to focus on minutiae- I figured that the word 'pop-art' would have implied our wonderful world of movies, televisions, and 'rock and roll' inspired music, etc. etc., yada, yada. Sorry, for being a tad vague.

Oh no don't stereotype me. Then I wouldn't have anything to become self- righteous about. But seriously, I think that it is safe to say that unfortunately alot of people do fit a certain definition, mostly because they tend to go with the flow and never challenge long established doctrines. Do these people have other qualities that don't neatly fit a certain criteria. Yes. Is it safe to stereotype every American? No, that was one of my reasons for posting the apology thingy website. But, I do appreaciate you mentioning that to the rest of the world. At least one person is bold enough to speak his mind about what might not be popular.

I'll check out the suggestion- now I just have to figure out how to watch the documentary here in the US. I'll google it and see what I find.

Yossarian

Doh. I thought you meant Andy Warhol and all that. That's cool. it's just there's alot of snobbery, certainly in England about American culture which I think is unfair.

You can win. I have beer and pistachio nuts so I'm happy. Except for the rest of my life but hey, you can't have it all. :)

Yossarian

I guess it aint' going to make much sense for future readers now :lol: The documentary was on the BBC, which I think has a channel somewhere in America. So it might come out sometime in the future.