OCD, you disturb me so.

pandamonium77

So tonight we were driving, me, my mum, and my two dogs, and i had this bad intrusive thought that i was going to open the door and my dog would fly out! Needless to say, i asked my mom over and over and over if the doors were locked, and i basically squeezed all of the air out of my dog so he wouldn't fly out if the door opened, even though i knew it was locked.
Also, im on prozac, so i dont get worried about my intrusive thoughts... which is really scary because A. I worry about not worrying, B. schizophrenics and crazy people don't worry about stuff like that, C. i think im crazy because im not worried about them, but i tell myself its the medication, D. then i worry about what if the medication isn't working because I'm not worrying about the intrusive thoughts but im still anxious because i worry about being crazy which is why the medication has little or no effect on me, because of this constant loop of nothing but anxiety and mental exhaustion that worrying about not worrying is causing me!
Sorry if i lost you, you may have to read D. a few times to finally get what im saying.
So basically i worry about not worrying because crazy people don't worry about that, and i get worried about that again.

getbornagain

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The most universal trait amongst OCDers is overanalysis. What you must learn to do is not dwell on the thoughts! You will have the thought run through your mind that you are about to open the door, but you must let it pass. Instead, you fed the thoughts by confirming the door is locked (compulsion), and you have to do this multiple times, thereby reinforcing the thought again.

Chronic worrying comes along with the overanalysis. I understand what you are going through, but you must realize nothing is as intricate as you're making it out to be. Surely you realize debating the effectiveness of the medication as a result of you NOT caring about the intrusive thoughts, is absurd? I realize your brain buries you under an avalanche of negativity, but it doesn't have to. You can start by thinking about something positive every time you get a negative thought. Time to start fighting this shit!

Ashiene

The more you think about it, the more you are reinforcing that thought. Avoiding a thought is alot better than telling yourself not to think about a thought because then, you're still thinking about that thought and what to do with it.