OCD tendencies?

Krista

I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their own with me? I can't say that I've been diagnosed with OCD, but some of my habits or "quirks" as everyone else refers to them strongly suggests I do.

Mine include:

- Having to have my bed made constantly.
My bed is pretty much my sanctuary. If there is one thing that never fails to irritate me, it's when people are on my bed. It requires that I remake and smooth out every wrinkle after they do, it has to be made when I'm up in the morning, before I go to bed in case it's been messed up in any way and often if I wake up in the middle of the night and it's messy, no matter the time I remake it again.

- My areas must always be in the specific order I put them in.
My dresser, my desk, etc. Everything has a place in which it should not be moved. For instance, my desktop. I can automatically tell if my monitor has been moved, my speakers, tower. From across my room (which is large) I can spot if anything is askew, I'm constantly readjusting things to make sure they're aligned with how I like them. I suppose it comes in handy, if I'm away for awhile and return I can always tell if someone has messed with my stuff. Not because I have anything to hide but because only I know exactly where everything goes.

- Restaurants.
It's an awful habit of mine, like above when I'm eating somewhere that I'm constantly putting things in their place. Silverware goes in a specific order, my drink, plate and anything that surrounds my "area". Of course I never invade anyone elses space but in my head I will pinpoint things that should be moved or need to be picked up. It's strange that I'm not so much a neat freak really, I keep things decently clean. When dining out somewhere though you'll never find a more clean table ::p:. My family is always scolding me to leave things alone because it's not my job to clean them, that's what waiters get paid for. But I can't seem to help it.

I always feel ashamed of these compulsions, I don't want to indulge them but it's just a part of who I am now. I can't count the number of times someone I know has called me anal about the way I do things, which only serves to make me feel worse. It's really my own things I have a need to do this with but sometimes...every time I will be at someone's house and see things that need to be corrected. I don't want another person thinking I'm snobbish for it, I certainly don't mean to be and I would never point them out. Just small things, pictures that aren't straight or are crooked, angled wrong I notice. Tell me someone else has this problem as well??

Last edited:

Square_Eyes

My god woman, there isn't one sentence of that post that doesn't absolutely and completely without exception describe the way in which my OCD like tendencies force me to behave on a day to day basis. I've suspected for some time now that I have OCD but never bothered pursuing an official diagnosis because, well, in contrast to my other problems it doesn't particularly warrant taking up what little time I already have with my psychiatrist. I'm not sure whether or not the fact that I live alone for most of the year helps or not because, although on one side it means that I can command complete control over everything and keep every object in its right place knowing that it will stay there, it just makes it ten times harder when I have to go anywhere else.

And I totally get the restaurant/cafe thing. Within five seconds of sitting down, I've already established exactly where everything should be and start reorganizing. I'm already anxious enough in those kinds of environment without having the added pressure of monitoring where each object is at any given time. It's not like you can police the movements of every object on the table when you're out with people either. You can't be all like - “Step awaaay from the salt Grandma!! Put the salt back where I put it and step away!!!"

It drives my parents absolutely insane whenever I'm home for the holiday's because I spend the entire time running around rearranging everything, moving coasters that are like 0.1mm out of from my preferred alignment, re-ordering shelves etc. When they're out sometimes I'll spend hours tidying up and rearranging everything then they'll just bust through the door after getting home from work and just chuck their keys down on the table and I'm like - “Nooooooo!!'

Truly exhausting stuff but I just couldn't imagine myself without these compulsions any more. It's just a part of who I am.

Last edited:

Krista

My god woman, there isn't one sentence of that post that doesn't absolutely and completely without exception describe the way in which my OCD like tendencies force me to behave on a day to day basis. I've suspected for some time now that I have OCD but never bothered pursuing an official diagnosis because, well, in contrast to my other problems it doesn't particularly warrant taking up what little time I already have with my psychiatrist. I'm not sure whether or not the fact that I live alone for most of the year helps or not because, although on one side it means that I can command complete control over everything and keep every object in its right place knowing that it will stay there, it just makes it ten times harder when I have to go anywhere else.

And I totally get the restaurant/cafe thing. Within five seconds of sitting down, I've already established exactly where everything should be and start reorganizing. I'm already anxious enough in those kinds of environment without having the added pressure of monitoring where each object is at any given time. It's not like you can police the movements of every object on the table when you're out with people either. You can't be all like - “Step awaaay from the salt Grandma!! Put the salt back where I put it and step away!!!"

It drives my parents absolutely insane whenever I'm home for the holiday's because I spend the entire time running around rearranging everything, moving coasters that are like 0.1mm out of from my preferred alignment, re-ordering shelves etc. When they're out sometimes I'll spend hours tidying up and rearranging everything then they'll just bust through the door after getting home from work and just chuck their keys down on the table and I'm like - “Nooooooo!!'

Truly exhausting stuff but I just couldn't imagine myself without these compulsions any more. It's just a part of who I am.

Ugh! I'm pretty sure this warrants us as besties now, lol. This is exactly, down to a T what I'm talking about. My Aunt gets so pissed with me, purposely making messes because she knows what I will do.....and then refuses to let me pick them up. Which suffice to say, drives me up a wall.

I agree that compared to my other problems this one seems minute in comparison. I don't think I would change it even if I had the option to, it's just who I am. But thank you for this :) It gave me a great chuckle to read, lol. Especially if you really talk with your grandma like this ::p: