OCD over diarrhea

dewrestle25

While I know this is an irrational thought I still cant help but obsess over it the last few days, but maybe some other peoples views about this will help me get over it. A few years ago my grandfather went diarrhea in the backseat of my parents leather seated car, and while my mom cleaned it up and disinfected it etc, I still havent been able to sit in that seat ever since. Well last week I moved into my new college dorm room and since it was a tight fit in my car, we had to pack many things on the mentioned seat. I made sure I placed a box on top of it because I knew I would obsess if I put anything crucial on top of it. In addition to the box I leaned the back of one of my chairs on the seat, intending to wipe it down with lysol after I moved in. But on the way to the top of my building my study pillow got placed on the back of the chair I had leaned on the seat. This is what I cannot stop thinking about and I feel that my study pillow is now infected and I get the idea that whenever I lay my head on the pillow that I am basically resting my head on a seat of diarrhea. I know this sounds dumb but ive had a history with this type of anxiety/ocd disorder. None of my other family members have a problem with this seat and maybe I should just get over it or is it really a big deal like I feel it is? I would love feedback from anyone. thanks very much.

rodinski

(brief read)

Sounds a lot like what I do; difference being I think it is semen. Once a certain area is contaminated to no belief of sexual activity it doesn't matter how many times I clean it I won't touch it (even if there is no semen/sperm there from the start).

One thing you gotta understand that these are organic compounds. Once broken down by any means of bleach, disinfectants, etc., these contaminates break apart and become something different (as long as there is a moist median, and not always 100%, to initiate them breaking down). Over long periods of times the remaining compounds are completely non existent as natural bacterias break them down or they simply dry out. Once dry it is very hard for them to spread (i.e. get on your clothes). (hence the 5 second rule, drop a candy on the ground and likewise a wet one. Compare the differences that you visually see).

This has been a few years, you should be fine. Just simply wipe it down with a very moist wet towel and then a disinfectant wipe. Let it dry for the day and sit in it. Diarrhea at this stage (few years long since expired) shouldn't harm you in any way. ....I wish this advice work for my current situation with my laptop.

seaturtle

So the pillow didn't actually touch the seat, but it touched something that touched the seat? I just want to make sure I understand.
If that is the case, then I think you need to keep telling yourself that it didn't directly touch it. Perhaps you could just get a pillowcase (or a new pillowcase) to cover it.

rodinski

So the pillow didn't actually touch the seat, but it touched something that touched the seat? I just want to make sure I understand.
If that is the case, then I think you need to keep telling yourself that it didn't directly touch it. Perhaps you could just get a pillowcase (or a new pillowcase) to cover it.

this.

ineedtopostmorethen10characters

dewrestle25

yeah seaturtle that is correct. It never actually touched the seat but I still feel like somehow it has become infected by cross contact. I know it sounds so dumb and very irrational but I cant help but thinking that Im laying in diarrhea everytime I place my head on my pillow.

rodinski

yeah seaturtle that is correct. It never actually touched the seat but I still feel like somehow it has become infected by cross contact. I know it sounds so dumb and very irrational but I cant help but thinking that Im laying in diarrhea everytime I place my head on my pillow.

I'll probably get to you even if you are educated about it. But something like this shouldn't be too hard to deal with. If you really want to help yourself, take a moment out the day and sit there and time yourself. Record your time, wait till the next day and do it again; this time lasting longer. Try a simple technique of exposure.

Eventually once you reach at least a minute or so, grab something you enjoy and sit there again. If you do this daily for the next month or so, you'll surpass it. But you have to experience yourself to some sort of self satisfaction in order for it to work with something you find positive. Remember, this comes out of your ass too. ::p:

Put some pepto bismol on the seat? Maybe that'll mentally make it better somehow lol

haha.

LadyWench

I have a similar problem. Like rodinski, I worry about semen being on places. Anytime my boyfriend and I "mess around", I make sure I'm completely covered with a blanket and stuff because I'm convinced that if I get his sperm anywhere near me, I'll get pregnant. Rationally, I know this is ridiculous and impossible. However, that doesn't stop the fear. Our fears and OCD aren't based on logic, obviously.

I agree with what seaturtle said. Getting a new pillow or a pillow case may help alleviate your fears. You can also try telling yourself that your mom cleaned up the mess in the car, so it wasn't there anymore anyway. Sorry this wasn't very helpful. Just thought I'd throw in my experience with a similar issue. Kinda.

rodinski

Our fears and OCD aren't based on logic, obviously.

I think it is the complete opposite. There is reason and logic behind what we are thinking. There is indeed the "possibility" of our rationale. I don't think our fears are irrational at all, as they can't be; OCD victims are not delusional. Are they practical? No.

Is semen there; nope.

Could it be; yes. Should I take the chance? No.