OCD and relationship issues

littletrout

Hi, I'm a newbie...
So frustrated! Can anyone help me? Here's what happens to me:
1. I ruminate on thoughts and feelings about my fears of 'people (my mother in-law) interfering in my life'
2. My wife has ensured me time and again that no one will interfere in our life
3. It causes me to snap at people and be withdrawn (towards my in-laws and my wife) and piss them off (because i've been ruminating about something 'unfair' or 'interfering' all day)
4. I feel a constant need to argue and 'set things right as I think they should be'
I am in danger of losing my wife and everything I have :cry: ...help!

apple85

it sounds nothing like an anxiety disorder and more like repressed anger, especially the bit about ruminating on injustices-this is a classic symptom of repressed anger. Look up material on repressed anger, anger disorders and how they express themselves in men (typically men and women have slightly different ways of dealing with anger issues). Youll be doing urself a big favour!

paulmm

actually, this does sound like an anxiety disorder. not sure if its quite OCD, but the fears of people interfering, and the need to set things right sound just like OCD symptoms. I'd read some articles on OCD and see if they sound like you. If its not OCD, it could very well be another anxiety disorder (there are a lot).

littletrout

OK...so where do I go from here? It seems the whole world is pissed off at me now. Except my parents, who will only take my side and not see things for how they are and how I can be an asshole soemtimes. They'll just blame my wife and my in-laws. I've ruined everyone's Christmas!!! :cry:

RedRibbons

Trout, you didn't ruin anyones Christmas. People choose to react, k, they ruin it for themselves. Don't let anyone blame you for anything.

Here, I didn't read through this 100% but.. it might help.

http://ezinearticles.com/?OCD-and-Relationships&id=354366

I find that typing something like "______ OCD" in a google search usually turns something up. "_______" being whatever you feel you are OC about, so... for you.. "relationship".

anywho. good luck.

I read that article.. And I really don't know if it will be of any use! >_< Oh well.

paulmm

from here you have many options. look at the symptoms that are making your life more difficult, and tihnk of ways to correct them. keep in mind that you probably do have an anxiety disorder, so the symptoms that are bothering you are caused by a chemical imbalance or psychological turmoil and are not your fault. Reading articles on OCD helps a GREAT deal because you learn which of your symptoms (ones you may not even be aware of) are abnormal or inconsistent with your personality and see how others deal with them. It also helps to make you realize that you are not alone in this, and that your symptoms are pretty mild compared to some of the far more devastating symptoms of other mental disorders and severe OCD (which sometimes requires hospitalization). If you cannot do this on your own, I highly recommend therapy - it helped me more that I ever could have imagined, and my obsessions are ones that I am really ashamed of, so i felt embarrassed talking about them at first. then i learned that my obsessions are far less abnormal than some other ones.

Good luck!

littletrout

it just seems like my life is constantly out of my control...therefore i argue and snap at my wife about every little detail...then I am driving in the car and i ruminate...'what about this' and 'i can't let this happen' and 'what if this happens'...and so on and so forth, generally about relationship and family issues...