Obsessive Thoughts

Voltage91

I started having a lot of obsessed thoughts regarding how emotions have been discovered to be chemical signals in the brain after reading a scientific article. I have gotten so obsessed that now I think I'm chemical XD and my emotions don't exist lol. I usually never obsess so much lol. If anyone else has had obsessive thoughts recently feel welcome to share.

Diend

This is when i started questioning whether anything was real which ultimately, is bad. I learned that some people are more sensitive than others. About the chemical thing.... You must understand in order to function in society, you cannot assume everyone is just a chemical powerplant. Although perhaps it can solve a lot of problems as we would focus on triggering the dopamine effect in people in order to promote harmony and happiness. It kinda explains why people can be irrational since we're just governed by the chemicals in our brains.

This is when i started questioning whether anything was real which ultimately, is bad. I learned that some people are more sensitive than others. About the chemical thing.... You must understand in order to function in society, you cannot assume everyone is just a chemical powerplant. Although perhaps it can solve a lot of problems as we would focus on triggering the dopamine effect in people in order to promote harmony and happiness. It kinda explains why people can be irrational since we're just governed by the chemicals in our brains.

It's important to understand the machine so that when something goes wrong, we know where to look on how to solve it. But even fighter pilots have methods of augmenting a marginally more natural control scheme for those complicated machines.

Ultimately we're not computers - and we don't react/act like machine that operate in a sterile method. While I think that understanding is important - it should by no means become a way of life. Speaking as someone that has actively tried to exclude all emotion, it doesn't work. Our nature always pull us back, and when it finally does the results are usually not at all pretty.

Emotions and the chemicals that cause them are amazingly useful tools, if not just occasionally/frequently obstructive. The most beneficial method lies in their direction/control, rather than their exclusion.

Last edited:

Witty_Name0_0

Were all just organisms that are the product of millions of years of evolution. All our emotions come from something happening in our brain that can be pinpointed scientifically. If you are happy it's just your brain sending signals to make you happy etc. That said our feelings are the only thing that makes life meaningful. Parents, school and TV (yes tv raises our kids too) is teaching our kids to have healthy emotions that are appropriate to whatever is happening. The older you get, the more dissociated these feelings get, and the more your feelings are governed by physical(food, sex, etc) things and drugs. We, as humans, are too intelligent to be effected by what other people say and do. You will realize this as you get older. You will turn into an insensitive, sociopathic robot.

Voltage91

Exactly. I've been just ignoring the thoughts and I've been feeling a bit better, and like I said before I'm usually never affected this much by such details. Yeah though good piece of advice.

Voltage91

Great comments and response everyone. I mean we can't think of everyone like that in society, so yeah I'll stop thinking about it and just take it with a grain of salt. Besides I treat everything including science with some healthy skepticism. So I'll just think about it as what scientist have discovered so far and that the whole thing is what make us who we are not just on part. So, any obsessive thought that anyone would like to share?

Voltage91

Were all just organisms that are the product of millions of years of evolution. All our emotions come from something happening in our brain that can be pinpointed scientifically. If you are happy it's just your brain sending signals to make you happy etc. That said our feelings are the only thing that makes life meaningful. Parents, school and TV (yes tv raises our kids too) is teaching our kids to have healthy emotions that are appropriate to whatever is happening. The older you get, the more dissociated these feelings get, and the more your feelings are governed by physical(food, sex, etc) things and drugs. We, as humans, are too intelligent to be effected by what other people say and do. You will realize this as you get older. You will turn into an insensitive, sociopathic robot.

Exactly well said. It's just reality indeed, so It's nothing to worry or get upset. Still, I'm a bit skeptical that they're just that. Again that could just be a coping mechanism for getting through this ridiculous obsession as well. Great advice.

Voltage91

It's important to understand the machine so that when something goes wrong, we know where to look on how to solve it. But even fighter pilots have methods of augmenting a marginally more natural control scheme for those complicated machines.

Ultimately we're not computers - and we don't react/act like machine that operate in a sterile method. While I think that understanding is important - it should by no means become a way of life. Speaking as someone that has actively tried to exclude all emotion, it doesn't work. Our nature always pull us back, and when it finally does the results are usually not at all pretty.

Emotions and the chemicals that cause them are amazingly useful tools, if not just occasionally/frequently obstructive. The most beneficial method lies in their direction/control, rather than their exclusion.

Yeah true and I've been there trying to exclude all emotion, but it doesn't work.

Whoopdeedoo

Yes...i became obsessed with oxytocin , the love hormone,for awhile.
I was convinced my lack of it was why i didnt sucessfully lactate
And also linked its absece to sex & love addiction behaviors Ive displayed.

I was convinced love was a decision and not a warm fuzzy feeling inside
& that the warm fuzzy feeling inside was lust. And lust for some reason was a
bad or lowly compulsion to be resisted.
Ugh
So im so weird
& so catholic. Lol

All our emotions come from something happening in our brain that can be pinpointed scientifically. If you are happy it's just your brain sending signals to make you happy etc

Still, I'm a bit skeptical that they're just that

Keep in mind that emotions are more than just processes in the brain itself. "Emotion" .. E-motion .. motion .. gives a hint that it's also body-related. I'm not 100% sure, but what if ALL of the "emotion" is actually in OTHER parts of the body (eg heart area), and the brain is simply the originator, that is it tells certain body areas/parts to react in such'n'such way, which we end up being well aware of usually (at least in general; but specifically we might not be very aware of those specific body areas involved). :question: