Not sure

sickofshadowz

Im not sure if I have agoraphobia or not because Im able to go out early in the morning to grocery shop but I do know I have avoidence personality. I panic whenever people are around and when they try to talk to me . Im wondering if there are any forums avoidence personality disorder or if anyone here may have it.
I have not had anyone over my house (relatives etc in years) I am 26 years old with a husband who is in denial and a very intelligent 7 year old son, I am looking for people who understand what im going through and will pen pal with me.

GettingThere

Hello sickofshadowz and welcome to the forum.

Avoidant personality disorder is closely related to social phobia/social anxiety order with some people claiming them to be one and the same.
Before I came to know what was wrong with me I thought that I may have had agoraphobia myself. The two are pretty different though.
With your mentioning of avoidance behaviour I would think that you most likely have SP/SAD.

If you are becoming house bound because of your condition then you should seek out treatment.

sickofshadowz

I really dont agree with social phobia being the same as avoidence personality, this is why im trying to find a forum for avoidence . I am not relating to anyone . And also ive been diagnosed with panic disorder along with social phobia since the age of 19 and have been on and off meds since the age of 12 for depression I dont need anyone telling me what my problem is or what they think it might be, I just wanted to find a penpal -someone who can relate to having a real fear of people.

here is a link that describes some of the differences between social anxiety and avoident personality disorder.

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gGRRQr...t Personality Disorder VS.. Social Anxiety*** it can't be the same thing in my opinion but you can get both disorders at the same time.

rfnatboy

Ive always had a problem with meeting more than one person at a time .
With one person Im funny smart and charming . With multiple people Im withdrawn insecure and just not myself . Hope that helps .

Hellraising

I don't really get what Agoraphobia is. And avoidence personality? I don't know. I've been housebound for 9 months, is that avoident enough?

Hamble

I always thought agoraphobia was a fear of wide open spaces? A Fear of people and social interaction with them is called social phobia? And then I hear theres such a thing as Avoidance Personality Disorder? Avoiding what? If its social interaction then why lable it APD? its' just a certain factor of being socialy phobic? All these terms and labels, there's too many... my little brain can't keep up. 8O

black_mamba

I didn't know what it meant either, a dictionary definition is a fear of open or public spaces. That explains a lot.

You are right though, too many labels, maybe even too much emphasis on diagnosis rather than cure.

MadCat

Oh nonono..not a coward

It's survival. people who have Avoidant personality disorder are less equiped to handle human interaction, so they avoid and often purposely cause themselves to get rid of anyone who tries to get near of them.

AvPD victims live in a world of self-hatred most the time.

To clear it up.

AvPD is a fear of people and the problem of relating to others. Social stuff is part of PEOPLE so it's avoided too, but primary the reason is to avoid contact with other people as they result in pain and hurt.

redlady

Hi sickofshadowz,
I came across this website for you on avoidant personality disorder, that has a chatroom available on it if your interested. I didn't actually go into the chatroom myself cause i didn't want to register so i can't tell you anything about it.

open-mind.org/SP/Articles/1c.htm

Alright then-good luck.

Shattered

I have been diagnosed with agoraphobia -- last year. I haven't had it long. I have had social phobia for a long time. I know the definition is a fear of wide open spaces but it's people and things I'm scared of. And by things I mean everything, I'm phobic of gas pumps and all sorts. But I think it all stems from me being scared of people. But I avoid everything.

At my worst I was housebound - for the most part. And by that I mean I was housebound aside from quick drives to get alcohol or whatever drugs I could get my hands on. If it weren't for my addiction I would have never left. I also stocked up when I bought cigarettes and alcohol and drugs etc. or whenever possible sent someone else to get them. So that there was less of a chance I would have to leave as soon for them again. I would plan my purchases this way so I could garauntee myself that I wouldn't have to leave the house again for another 2 weeks and I would feel relieved at most.
Sorry this got to be so long but perhaps I was mis-diagnosed? At the time they diagnosed me I was coming off drugs and very much insane and probably very vague as to what was going on with me.

annie

Hellraising said:
Basically, I think that 'having avoident personality' is just a nicer way of saying 'being a coward'.

Oh that is a bit rough saying anyone that has an avoidance personality is a coward :x

annie