not only social phobia, but being very different from other people

Klaus

It's somehow funny but I do everything I can to avoid people! Even the ones that treat me well. My pattern of thinking is always like: "Please remove this person from my life, I don't ANYTHING with him!

And obviously people notice that, so I try to be very polite when I meet them to compensate this kind of behaviour, but people must think that I'm fake or two-faced. Because they invite me for everything and I simply reject or ignore all invitations. And I'm sure that I don't do that because I have social phobia, but because I hate to be with them, I simply can't relate to their humour and their tastes, they think very different from me, they like things that I don't like! And I get so bored...
And I'm very different from the other kids since early childhood, my mum says that she used to forget that I was at home when I was a baby, because I was a very quiet baby that could spend hours alone in the room playing lego, never crying or asking for anything. And she says also that I never woke up her and my father crying at dawn, like all babies do. She says that I was like the most peaceful baby ever.

There was one girl similar to me, and she was as startled as me when we meet each other, she even said: "Oh God, I meet one of my own species!" And I married her. She is the only person in the world I can relate on a personal level.

It's not only social phobia, but being very different from other people...
Can someone relate? Or am I just a lunatic?

I simply can't relate to their humour and their tastes, they think very different from me, they like things that I don't like! And I get so bored...

Yes, real life people I click with are a rarity. I do feel guilty for not making more of an effort to 'get along', but I'm simply not interested in that. I do wish that I could sit down with me-people more often though.

IGotSeoul

In a sense, I don't relate to many at all - even under circumstances where one topic is accentuated, such as concerts, games, sports clubs.

I've met many lovely people, nice as can be. The likelihood of me keeping in touch with them is very slim though.

I've gone through certain extent to broaden my points of interests to meet new people; such as studying languages, religion, culture, philosophy, psychology, sports, video games, engineering, martial arts, cars, the solar system lol. In the end however, I do prefer spending my time alone - which may have a lot to do with it.

I don't click with others, I'm not quite sure how to put it.

also I love the way you met your significant other. ::eek::

Toomuchfear

I can identify you on many levels :) Although I tend to force myself into meeting with people to try and strengthen my social skills

I think it's strange how people think you are fake, you are probably a real nice person but all your inner anguish is projecting this negative image. I bet it feels horrible that people think you're two-faced etc when you're know the opposite...it's like being accused of a crime you haven't committed.

The thing you said about Lego and peaceful baby is exactly the same! Are you me? I loved Lego cos I could go into my own world. Unfortunately I miss social interactions this way.

I feel so different to people too man, I feel I can not make any connections and I feel like an alien desperately trying to fit in but routinely failing.

You're very lucky to have found a woman like you. You're not lunatic trust me, you're just leading a unique life.

Error

I feel exactly the same as you. For example, in my country everyone is into soccer, and it is a major subject to talk about with others. There was a time I liked it, but now it's boring so I simply do not waste a second watching soccer. So I can't enter in people's conversations about it, and I don't care.

I also don't relate, my tastes are very different from other people's, and prefer to be alone at home, than having a fun (I mean boring) time with friends. So I don't have friends. Oh, well.

And I also was a Lego fan. The only thing we are different is the fact that I'm not married or even got a girlfriend yet.

anuskas

Yes, it´s not only the SP, but also I´m very different from other people. I do like to be alone but friends push me to go out and I feel anxious about that because I can´t say "No". They are good friends I know but they want to be with me often and I don´t have the need. Also, I don´t like to talk to them everyday on the phone. I just put my mobile in silence not to be invited for parties!

Error

Yes, it´s not only the SP, but also I´m very different from other people. I do like to be alone but friends push me to go out and I feel anxious about that because I can´t say "No". They are good friends I know but they want to be with me often and I don´t have the need. Also, I don´t like to talk to them everyday on the phone. I just put my mobile in silence not to be invited for parties!

Yes, I know the feeling. I hate my mobile. When it rings I get scared. It's nothing good.

Luckily, I can reject them (sometimes I have to lie ::(:) And now I don't even get invited anymore. It's good and bad...

Shant

I get like this. Of course I'm anxious and everything, but I don't feel a connection with anyone and unless we have a lot of connections, I'll just avoid them, as they might want to befriend me or something, and I wouldn't be interested in a friendship with someone like them, someone I could not relate to that well. It doesn't sound like it's worth the effort, you know?

carecrab

yes i can totally relate to you guys.. the thing is i really want to be myself but am afraid because the real me is pretty girly and emotional, and well i've tried a couple of times but it's really painfull.. :[

Bittersweet

And I'm sure that I don't do that because I have social phobia, but because I hate to be with them, I simply can't relate to their humour and their tastes, they think very different from me, they like things that I don't like! And I get so bored...

Yes, I can completely relate to this.

The few people I've met or seen who have interested me I feel way too unworthy to be friends with, like they would be bored by me so I don't even bother. And it's probably quite true, since the person inside of me who is interesting and has stuff in common with them can't get out to connect with them anyway.

I can also relate to this. It's really a catch 22 situation.

Vampayah88

I can relate to a lot of things people mentioned here. I feel anxious when i know i have to go out with friends/acquaintances because when we sit around a table everyone starts talking and I can barely let a few words out, its so hard for me to connect with people. I know I have a good sense of humour, i really wish i would be able to show this, I dont want them to think Im boring. I can only connect with one person, we get along incredibly well, have a lot in common and just have a blast together. Surprisingly tho, we are very much alike but at the same he's the complete opposite of me. He's approachable,makes friends very easy, can hold a conversation..

I really wish I could meet someone in real life more like me.someone i could relate to on this level atleast...