No help?

lilmutegirl

I have given this a lot of thought, and I'm afraid that, in some ways, there is no help for people with SA. I do not mean that people who have SA can never get better, or at least make some progress, but that others may not really be able to do anything for us, because, ultimately, we have to make the adjustments ourselves. This frustrates me, as I don't know what to do, but even if I asked someone for help and they made suggestions, I would have to carry out the actions, and that terrifies me. I recently emailed my university to see if SA counts as a disability, but I doubt they could do much for me, even if they deem it so, as I am too scared to go to class. Any thoughts?

A86

its impossible to help someone who is not willing to help themselves

upndwn

I have given this a lot of thought, and I'm afraid that, in some ways, there is no help for people with SA. I do not mean that people who have SA can never get better, or at least make some progress, but that others may not really be able to do anything for us, because, ultimately, we have to make the adjustments ourselves. This frustrates me, as I don't know what to do, but even if I asked someone for help and they made suggestions, I would have to carry out the actions, and that terrifies me. I recently emailed my university to see if SA counts as a disability, but I doubt they could do much for me, even if they deem it so, as I am too scared to go to class. Any thoughts?

There are ways to conquer SA, of that I'm living proof, but there are no shortcuts. Only through sheer determination and lots of support from friends and family, therapy, rehabilitation and medicines have I been able to do so. It might seem like an impossible obstacle at times, but the important part is not to give up, don't give into the fear, just keep fighting it and one day you might be free from SA.

lilmutegirl

I know that it will require a lot of work, and I have started therapy (3 times). I plan on going back to therapy, but don't like the meds I have been put on. My concern is more that people with SA would be less likely to ask for help, or accept help if offered, than people who do not have a problem socializing. And, I have made progress over the years (not consciously, though), so I know things can improve.

lilmutegirl

Road to Recovery: You bring up good points. I would like to not be on edge all the time, and I do tend to lack sleep, so taking care of that could help the situation. And, while I agree that tomorrow's a new day, there are some things in life that are limited by time (for instance, I am currently in school, and if I don't do something about my SA soon, I will have to drop my classes or fail them).