New to this forum

MetalMan

Hey all, I'm new here, and I need some advice. I'm suffering from this agoraphobia and it's horrible. I mean, I guess at this point, that would be an understatement. I can go outside and drive if I have a safe person with me. But even now I'm starting to notice that sometimes I get anxious even driving with a safe person. Kind of like how it was for me in the beginning. I've had this for about 3 years now, and only in this present year has it actually hit me this hard. My soul is screaming out for help. I can't let this life be a waste.

A lot of popular debate suggests that you just surrender to your anxiety attacks when they happen, and that that's the best way to get over this. What do I tell myself either out loud or in my head when I begin to feel the attack manifest itself? Do I say to myself, "It's been a good life, but now it's over."????

HHDisturbed

Hello MetalMan and welcome. Let me start by saying that no one is perfect and everyone has some sort of anxiety or fear. However, like yourself, many people have anxiety to extremes that end up controlling their lives, Maybe a better way to put it is "robbing" them of their lives. This is when it is sometimes necessary to dig for every bit of inner strength to just to make it through the day. But you are not alone and you should never give up hope.

When you are most calm I want you to think about the wonderful things in life you truly want most and that you believe in your heart will bring you happiness. I want you to then get up, go to the mirror, look into your own eyes, smile and say out loud to yourself..."I deserve happiness too and I am stronger than my fears". It may seem corney but you should do this at the start of each day at the mirror after you brush your teeth. In saying this to yourself with a smile you start learning to believe in YOU! The more you do it the more you will believe it so do it often or when you feel an attack coming on.

Why should you believe in you? Because YOU are the only person on the face of this earth who has the power to control or change YOU. Getting the proper help and guidance is essential too but ultimately it is you who must find the strength to overcome. It is so important to remember that we are only on this earth for a short time and you, just like everyone else, deserve to be happy too.

Life is what you make of it MetalMan...so choose wisely. It may be a struggle in the begining but you can get past this and move forward again. If that is what you want and it will make you happy then you deserve it! Find the strength within yourself to make it happen.

I wish you the best! :) Believe in yourself and you WILL succeed.

Last edited:

mismeek

as a recovering agoraphobic.. I agree with disturbed.. stay positive.. the negative thoughts will ruin you.