New to the forums, my story

melbell

My name is melanie and i was just recently diagnosed with OCD 3 months ago, more specifically pure O. I have been dealing with OCD all my life, but the most difficult times were in my teens, around age 15. As a child i used to tell myself if i didnt do things in a certain way (like if i didnt clean my room in exactly 3 minutes, or make 5 baskets in a row in the basketball hoop) my mom was going to die. I would keep doing the act until i did it right, but i would feel uneasy if i didnt do it the first time. These rituals went away as i got older and i didnt think much of them until recently. When i turned 15, my health class at school had a guest speaker; a man who had contracted HIV. He talked to us about the dangers of the disease, how its passed and showed us all the pills he has to take. That is when my ocd turned for the worst.

I started thinking i had gotten HIV from guys i had kissed and done things with, and i was utterly terrified. For TWO YEARS i cried myself to sleep, researched daily all the signs of having HIV, how to contract it and so on. I thought about it when i went to sleep and it was the first thing on my mind when i woke up. It consumed me everyday. I told my mom about my concerns and she told me i had nothing to worry about. that is what everyone told me, but i just couldnt let it go, i was CONVINCED i had HIV, i was going to spread it to my family and friends and that i would never get married and have children. The anxiety i felt thinking about taking a test and waiting a week for the results was so bad, that i could never get the courage to go get tested. I finally got the courage to get tested when i turned 17. My motivation was my boyfriend whom i cared for dearly, but i couldnt even kiss him without thinking i was going to give him HIV so i just had to know the truth. I found a local clinic that performed rapid HIV testing so i would get my results in 20 minutes.

I got tested, and it was NEGATIVE!!! I was so happy and relieved i just couldnt beleive i had worried for so long for nothing. Things were great after that. I accepted my results and graduated highschool, went on to college and lived a normal happy life. Sometimes i would think about HIV and have some bouts of worrying, researching online and anxiety. I even convinced myself i had herpes even though i physically had no symptoms. I saw an add on tv and started worrying i had it. I called hotlines and asked questions, read up on herpes on the internet and got so scared that i had my mom make me an appointment with my doctor to get a herpes test. A week later it came back negative and i felt better. For some reason i then started thinking that the needle the doctor used to take my blood might have been infected with HIV and then i started worrying about that again.

I have battled with these thoughts about having HIV for 7 years now. It was manageable for the last 5 years since i got tested, but this last year it has gotten so bad that i think i have contracted HIV through scientifically impossible means. I went and had another rapid HIV test done in september and it was negative. I thought it would be over. i felt happy. but when i got home to my apartmen. not even 30 minutes after my results, i started doubting them. I began googling the reliability of rapid HIV tests, and was convinced that i had it but the test didnt pick it up. My sadness and depression about these thoughts got so bad that i even thought about not wanting to live anymore. I was riding in the car with my boyfriend on the freeway that day, and I remember thinking about how i just wanted to open the door and jump out, just so it would go away.

I finally came out and told my boyfriend of 6 years ( the same one i mentioned earlier that i met in highschool) mom and dad about 4 months ago about all my thoughts and issues i have been having. it was scary because i was afraid of what they would think. i felt crazy. It was hard for them to believe at first i think because i outwardly to them seemed normal and never really showed signs of being depressed. I hid my feelings well, mostly because i was ashamed and embarassed. I thought if i told them, they would all tell me im crazy, and that i got tested for HIV and shouldnt worry. suprisingly everyone in my family have been very supportive and my boyfriend has been so accepting and wonderful.

I went to my doctor to get a mole looked at, and i ended up spilling EVERYTHING to him about my worries. He was very concerned and decided to try some medication to supress the thoughts. I was put on citalopram (celexa) and i have been on that since Mid september. He suggested that i see a therapist to help as well. My dad helped me find a therapist that lives near my home that uses cognitive behavioral therapy with an emphasis on evidence. I have been seeing him for 3 months and I am feeling a bit better.

A month ago i had a bunch of blood work done to check and make sure everything was normal, and i asked to get an HIV test. I told myself if i get this last test, from a doctor i trust, that is the traditional test that i will not get tested anymore and try to believe the test. I got the results back a week later, and to no suprise, it was negative.

this last week i have been going back to my old ways, thinking of all the ways i may have gotten HIV since i got tested (like the lady who took my blood didnt use a clean needle, someone put blood in my food etc) but i am trying to use the evidence i have to make the thoughts go away. It is so hard sometimes. i just want to be happy, but i feel like when i find myself laughing or enjoying life, my brain reminds myself that "you have HIV, why are you happy? you should be worrying." Sometimes i just cry and feel so sad that i cant see a light at the end of the tunnel. I worry that i am burdening my family and my boyfriend with all this, and sometimes i wonder if they even believe me when i tell them i have been diagnosed with OCD. I feel like for someone who doesnt have OCD, it would be so hard to understand why they cant just accept the truth and let go. I feel so alone, like no one can really understand what im going through which then makes me feel like im crazy.

I am hoping that with the medication i have been prescribed, continuation of therapy and now joining this forum, i can start to accept my disorder for what it is and begin to live as normal of a life as i can. I find that i feel comfort reading stories of others, because i can relate and it makes me feel "normal" and like im not alone.

Nack

Banned
Your life sounds wonderful, aside from the OCD. I know my words mean little, but if you're not humping every guy you see, sticking needles, licking peoples blood, etc. You should be fine...

In the end.... Welcome to this depressing site!

Rockhopper

I can relate to this! I had the same worries about getting herpes. I actually only had a few ingrown hairs, but I convinced myself that I had herpes even though I went to so many doctors and got so many tests done. It would give me temporary relief, but then I would start worrying again that they had got it wrong. I would check myself so many times a day. In the middle of the night if I woke up worrying I'd have to go check myself. It was consuming my life. I also had a few fears of HIV after I'd been with someone. Waiting for the tests was agonising and it was getting embarrassing going to doctors as they couldn't understand why I had these fears. I would constantly worry. I also suffer with the fact that when I have nothing to worry about I feel like I should be worrying about something.

melbell

i just feel like my mind wont let me feel happy, if im not worrying about something, i feel like i should be and that i shouldnt be happy because something is wrong with me, the doctors are just trying to make me feel better.

Rockhopper

I get this a bit too. I have to keep reminding myself that it is such a waste of time to let myself worry and I'm not going to be happy if I keep letting it get to me. Of course this is easier said than done. Though it does help me a bit to tell myself that every time I get down.

very_shy

Sometimes I get similar thoughts and worries and although my health is good, the worst thing I am afraid is to become blind.

But on the other hand I tell myself: Look, imagine you now really get the disease I worry so much about. I would be extremely sad because I did not enjoy life before I knew I am sick. I would feel sorry for every second, every minute, every hour of my worries before knowing this.

In the football (soccer) one of the rules is: "The foul/offside is, when the referee signals it". No matter what happened before.

Good luck and all the best!

LadyWench

I'm not even sure where to start with my response. Usually when I see new members on the board, I will reply to their posts and basically say "welcome to the forums, I hope this can be helpful to you", and other generic crap. However, your post is different. As I was reading it, I literally went to tears. I hope I don't come off as creepy or anything, heh. But I've honestly never met or come across someone that worries about and thinks the same things that I do. I suffer from OCD (among other problems, like panic disorder and depression) with hypochondria. I can never stop worrying about my health. Rather than worrying over the same disease for years like you have, my brain switches it up on me all the time. I can worry about 5 (or more, depending on how severe my anxiety is) different things in one day. Yeah, total fun!

Google is probably one of my worst enemies. Aside from just...myself. Any little insignificant ache, pain, twinge or ANYTHING, I will freak out, Google it, and freak out even more. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've gone to the restroom, and would panic incessantly because I would convince myself that I've got rectal bleeding. For some reason, it's one of my biggest fears. I don't even remember the last time I've gone to the bathroom and didn't worry about bleeding out of my behind. Not only that, I also fear coughing up or vomiting blood. Ugh, those thoughts never leave my mind. None of my fears do. Like you said, I go to bed thinking about it, and wake up thinking about it. It literally controls my life and I feel like my own stupid brain limits my life and doesn't allow me to be happy. I just want to be free of this sh*t, like you do.

Anyway, I think the main part of your post that really got to me because I can relate SO much to it, is when you said "I just want to be happy, but I feel like when I find myself laughing or enjoying life, my brain reminds myself that 'you have HIV, why are you happy? you should be worrying.' " God, that's exactly what happens to me. I could be completely distracted from all of my ridiculous fears and worries, by either a piece of music or a funny movie/video or just ANYTHING, and my mind will suddenly switch back and say "um, what the hell are you doing? You have cancer, remember? Worry!" and my stomach will go into a knot, and my mind will automatically revert back to being miserable and ridden with anxiety.

I apologize for my excessively long response. I just wanted to reply because I feel like we go through very similar experiences. It's always nice for me to talk with others that have OCD, but I've never met anyone that deals with the same symptoms I do. Usually they worry about other things that have nothing to do with health. Or they have classic symptoms, like obsessive hand-washing or counting or something. Hearing you discuss the issues you've been battling, it definitely makes me feel like I'm not alone. Especially when you said that you've had the HIV test many times, and have had doctors reassure you that you're okay, and it's still just too hard to believe and accept. It's as if our minds want us to worry for the rest of our lives. Like, it feeds on it or something. Once again, I'm sorry for this being so lengthy. I'm glad to hear that you've been on medication and have been talking with a therapist, and have also been seeing some progress. That is great.

Last edited:

melbell

stop apologizing for a long response!! I love to hear from fellow OCD sufferers, it makes me feel "normal". I feel teary eyed reading your response, because it makes me sad to think that someone else, ANYONE else has to go through this crap that i go through. I wouldnt wish it on my worst of enemies. I am so glad that i can be someone you relate to and feel like your not alone. When i see this, it makes me start to think "hey maybe my worries are just a malfunction in my brain, look other people do it to without merit". It has helped me immensly to see others feeling the same way and going through the same things because it sometimes allows me to think that i am worrying for nothing, we ALL are worrying for nothing but we just cant help it.

I want to be happy, but my brain wont let me. I want to control my brain, but most times i cant. It it horrible, that nervous twisted feeling you get in your stomach, all day long when you think of all the things that are wrong with you health wise.

its been hard for me as well, because i dont feel i suffer from any compulsions really. i dont have much to do that rids of my worries even temporarily. Like you said, i will watch a video or movie and be enjoying myself, but once i realize im enjoying myself my brain promptly reminds me that im being selfish, that i shouldnt be acting like nothing is wrong because SOMETHING is terribly wrong.

sometimes i feel like i cant relate to many, and sometimes i feel like people think im full of crap when i tell them i have OCD, because i dont wash my hands a million times, count and do rituals. The rituals are in my head, constantly telling myself your fine, no your not, yes you are your ok stop worring, no your not ok your going to give HIV to your boyfriend friends and family and they are all going to hate you for it.

i try to stay away from google, but its hard. Its a 50/50 for me. Sometimes i read something that makes me feel better, but other times i run across something that makes me feel worse because it sounds like i have what im afraid of having!!!

this probably sounded all rambled and jumbled but i was just letting all my thoughts out randomly. I am SOOOOOO glad to have maybe given you some hope, and now we eachother to talk to on here when we are having bad days. Maybe it will help us, knowing eachother, because we can see in eachother how rediculous the other is being and then say "hey maybe im being rediculous too. Maybe there is nothing wrong with me and im ok too!!" but thats just a BIG hope on my end :)

DONT BE AFRAID to write whenever, whatever and however long you want. I love it :)

LadyWench

Thanks for responding! I'm glad you did. I hope I didn't come off as weird or anything, heh. It's just nice to finally come across someone that goes through basically the same things I do. I can definitely relate to that feeling of normality when you realize that others suffer from it, as well. Maybe not a lot of people, but there are a few out there. Have you ever been to The Hypochondriac.com It isn't as good as this website, and some of the people on there can be a bit rude at times. I like this one much better. But if you go through the posts and read the health fears that other people battle with, it will hopefully make you feel less alone in this. It helps me a little bit.

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you WANT to be happy, but your brain won't allow it. Like I said in my previous post, I can relate to that so much. No matter what, I have to worry, be scared and unhappy. But why? What's the point? I don't know why I do this to myself, even though I can't help it and it's really out of my control.

I've always wondered if people with OCD are better or worse off if they don't have the compulsions, just pure O. Sometimes I think it's better to have it, because at least the sufferer can be relieved of the thoughts/symptoms for even just a few minutes. But on the downside of that, these compulsions are not healthy at all. Like with me, I have to constantly go spit in the sink to make sure I'm not spitting/coughing up blood. Or after I use the restroom, I have to check the toilet to make sure blood didn't come out of me. Then I have to obsessively check my underwear to make sure, once again, that blood didn't leak onto them from my butt. So fun! But I do think the majority of my "rituals" are in my head, as well. Constantly fighting with myself. I try to reassure myself that I'm fine, and then my brain says "what? No, you're not! You're gonna die!"

I wish our brains wouldn't do this to us. I think we do deserve to be happy. What could we have done to deserve THIS?

The more I read your post, the more I feel like I can relate. It's a shame that a lot of people are so ignorant to the disorder. They think that if you don't wash your hands or count (like you said), then you don't have it. People can be so dense sometimes, it angers me. OCD comes in so many different forms and variations. It doesn't take a rocket scienctist to figure that out either. I just wish more people were understanding and accepting of it.

I'm the same way with Google, haha. Either I find something that helps a tiny bit, or something that scares the sh*t out of me and makes my anxiety worse. As if a Google link could diagnose me, haha. But it still kind of confirms it for me one way or the other. Well, that's not completely true. If I'm afraid of having breast cancer, type it into Google and I don't have the symptoms and the odds are in my favor, I will still worry about it. Just not as intensely. So, the obsessing never fully goes away, it will just kind of decrease a little until I find something else to worry over.

Anyway, thanks so much for listening to me and letting me vent my crap. I appreciate it so much. I think it would be great if we could continue to talk to one another and maybe help each other out and stuff, like you said. That would be awesome. And you should feel free to write whatever you like to me, as well. I'm glad I'm not alone in this! :)

Okay, this was a long one, you have to admit. lol.

LockieKermit

There's not alot I can say except that melbell. It's not your fault, OCD-Pure O is not a reflection of who you are. It's a bubble that surrounds us, but inside, we are normal.

Just to let you know, you are not alone.

There tonnes of other websites you might want to read up on, alot of them like this one, alot of them are testimonials.

OCD can be cured though :)