new job

riley

currently I work in costumer service and i hate it, the people i work with are so mean to me it affects my phobia and i'm having trouble sleeping at night because of the stress of my job but i get paid a decent amount.
recently i got hired at another retail store, but my parents do not want me to leave my current job, because they believe that the town that my new job is in is a bad town and they dont want me to let ocd rule my life and they will be a pay decrease
what should i do?

Feathers

hmm, how much will be the pay decrease? Can you get a part time job to make up for it?
can you get another different job with more pay? (in a safer part of town?)
have you checked people would be better at the new job?

In what ways have people been 'mean' to you? How long have you worked there? Or elsewhere?

have you looked at the anti-bullying sites or anti work-bullying sites?
it would be good to learn how to prevent people being mean to you, just in case.. (there are some communication strategies and such that might help, or perhaps some procedures to report any mean people? see if there is something like that where you live)
This book might be good too: Dealing with Difficult People by Rick Brinkmann and Rick Kirschner - or some books even more targeted at work bullying or such.. See what your library has..

Have you taken any martial arts classes? for self-protection, just in case, if it's a 'bad town'? (Or what kind of 'bad' town is it? Just not posh enough or dangerous? People being mean and physical dangers can be two different things..)

Also, have you tried any EFT (emofree.com) or TAT (tatlife.com) against feeling stressed about these people at work and the whole situation? Sometimes things can improve..

Or you could try any other relaxation procedures, like running/jogging/walking or other forms of exercise.. or journalling/venting here.. Have you tried any counselling or assertiveness group or such?

Wishing you good luck, however you decide!! It may also depend how long you have worked there and on your overall job history... (See the Japanese drama Freeter... for this.. He quit a 'good' job after just 3 months and then found it difficult to find a new good job...)
It also depends if you live with your parents or living on your own? Could you live on your own with the new paycheck? What if the new job proved 'bad' too, could you still llive on your own (how much savings do you have etc)?
If you go for the new job and things don't work out, the parents may nag you about it - or would they be kind and supportive then? (You know your parents better than anyone, how have they reacted in past situations like that?)

Things to consider..

Last edited:

riley

my pay will decrease will be 60 cents an hour, i have been at my current job for four months,

the people i work with yell at me and are demeaning, every time something is put away wrong i get yelled at for it. For instance last night i had left a costumers order on the counter to run in the back of the store to get him an item that had been ordered for him when i got back one of my coworker (who should know better she 70 year old by the way) threw his item at me because it was "in her way."

i have not read any books about bullying and i have not taken any self-defense classes, but the town my new job will be in , is not really a bad town, what i meant to say was that my parent object to me driving there because its on a mountain and they are afraid the roads will be to icy during the colder months.

and i have not tried TAT or EMF, but ill def look into those sites

i saw the Japanese drama Freeter post, but i dont rlly have to much responsibility cuz i live with my parents and i am still in school, but i have a scholarship so i dont need to worry about tuition all i really have to pay for is my car insurance, so the pay decrease is not a huge deal to me

and my parents support is a big deal to me they know best, but i think i have convinced them that the new job is the best alternative and i will most likely be giving in my two weeks tomorrow or the day after.

thanks for your help:)

Kingdave

well what happens at work stays at work so dont worry about it.......they shouldnt be mean to u if they are its probrably because ur letting the problems of yesterday effect you today. i bet if u didnt hold them problems to u and let them go u would be one of the best if not the best employee on the job. or at least normal. noone has a reason to be mean to you, if you really think about it. just do what your supposed to do and try your best. no stress, dont let noone overwork u, stick up for yourself. and if all else fails....you can get another or go to the other job.

its not like they're gonna fire u rite? ;) you should take joy in this. but no just dont worry and do your work.

HH

it all depends on how much you hate your current job, if you can't stand it and want out then do it, its your life and nobody else's. Doing a job you hate effects people more they think-mentally and physically.

good luck

ありがとう

Sorry to hear that :( you could continue working with them and see how it pans out over time... But if you really hate the people you work with, maybe it's better for you to quit and go for the new job as it's gonna affect your mental/physical state in the long run. I'm sure you'll be able to find a new job if things never worked out, after all you do have 2 jobs in line lol.