New job scares me

SAteacher

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Really glad there is a community out there for people like us where we can be straight about our condition without people looking down or making fun of us.

Basically I'm a 28 year old male from Norway. The last two years I've been keeping myself as busy as possible combining three different jobs with studies. It was fun for a while, but it wore me out to such a degree that I felt forced to make a change. I've got a new full-time job on a fixed contract working as a secondary school teacher where I will be teaching film and photography. It's a dream job really, but it requires me to move from the south to the north of the country. I'll be moving to a place where I don't know a single soul. This along with the expectations from the new job really frightens me.

I was unaware of my SA till about a year ago. One of my jobs at the time was working as a teacher temp and assistant, so I have to admit that working as a teacher has actually proven to suit me. However, I've always sort of had somone I can relate to as a friend or someone I trust. I don't have this security where I go now, and I've felt more tense than a guitar string the past week.

I feel that I might be taking on too much when you look at the SA. I'm fearing what all these new people will think of me and what they will say. I'm not that concerned about my job itself actually, but more about how people will judge me.

One part of me tells me that I should have a go at this job and see how it turns out. If I can't handle it, just quit and give myself a pad on the back. Another part of me is saying that this is too much for you and you should settle for something where you feel less expectations and where you have a safe person you can relate to.

The SA has really just gotten worse over the last 3-4 years. Despite exposing myself more and more as part of trying to make it better.

I have a lot of freinds actually, though I have never had a girlfriend. My friends are great and I feel like they respect me for the person I am and I actually feel relaxed when being around them. I tend to get strong relations to people once I do. So part of my fares with this career move is not being able to have as much fysical contact with my friends.

If you've managed to read all this, I would love some input on my issue...

:)

Feathers

Hi & Welcome to the forums! :)

First of all, Congratulations on your new job! Teaching film and photography does sound interesting!

Can you get to know some people online, before you get there?
Schools usually have websites, and you can familiarise yourself with the school and the staff over the internet? (This has helped me before going to strange places) You can even google them or look them up on Facebook maybe? (You don't have to contact them if you don't want to, just to see the faces can be helpful?)

If you have friends now I'm pretty sure you'll find friends there too... And you can contact old friends over Skype, phone or e-mail?

You can google the school and see if it's 'famous' for discipline problems or such, or if it's a nice school... Or you can ask at a teachers' forum, if you have such a thing in your country. (I know there are forums for international English teachers)

Would the north be more dark in the winter? That might be a thing to consider, with regard to any possible depression or such. Some people have had trouble with that.

Anyways, just things to consider and ideas of what to do maybe :)

Whatever you decide, your friends will still be your friends and respect you, and you'll still have this forum (and other places online) too!

Take care & wishing you luck!

SAteacher

It will be a lot darker in the North, which is something that concerns me a bit. However, this winter I took a trip with some friends to Tenerife in january for some sun and relaxation. That really helped me through the winter, and is something I can reccomend for other people as well.

My friends will still be the same (I hope) and as you say... skype, facebook etc. does wonders for people wanting to stay in touch nowadays.

In general, teachers are known to be genuinly nice people as far as being collegues goes. I'll probably be in good hands. However, this is up north and in the countryside. People are known for their rough language and tough style up there, so I'm just gonna try to stay out of conflicts and focus on doing my job.

I think I'm gonna have a go at this as the job itself is really good and it pays well. I just feel this need to express my thoughts and feelings to someone who actually understands the complexity when SA is involved. Thats why I felt like posting this.

Thank you for answering me and supporting me! It really means a lot coming from someone who understands :)

Whoopdeedoo

Congratulations its sounds like a wonderful opportunity and adventure.
Youve been given a great gift marrying your passions with your career path.
It sounds like you are capable are alot more than you realize.
The fear you have is quite normal really. Any well adjusted person could feel this way whether an SA sufferer or not. I found feathers suggestions quite helpful ,maybe utilize them.
I moved 2800 miles from NYC to Arizona and it was one of the most difficult yet wonderful experiences Ive had .. But I was running away from something. Youre running to something. Try it. You can always come back if you want.
Good luck
I really know that whatever the outcome you will be the richer for it. You mustve craved some sort of change. Your musing has yielded an opportunity
Measure its outcome ,as an experience had ,which creates charactor .
Not as a success or failure and then you cant lose , you ll only gain.
Challenge your charactor. Step outside your comfort zone and have a wonderous awe inspiring experience.. You are so alive its beautiful!
Thanks for sharing

SAteacher

I was craving a change indeed. I've been juggling three different jobs with studies for the last two years, which was starting to wear me completely out. However, I like keeping myself busy as I hate waiting around people where small-talk is expected. I guess that's part of SA's sufferings.

I've reached the point where I just wanna get started now and not think too much about it anymore.

Just out of curiosity, are you still in Arizona? Why/why not?