New job and drug tests

Toad

So, I'm starting a summer internship next week, and am pretty much freaking out. There is my normal "I hate doing new things/meeting new people" type freaking out, but I'm used to that and can hide it. But there is also a freaking out because the information they sent me about working there said my offer of employment is dependent on me passing a "substance screening test". That's fine and all...I don't do drugs...hell...I don't even drink, but I'm assuming they will want me to take a pee in a cup while a person is standing in the bathroom to verify that is what I am actually doing.

I simply can't do that...I can't pee when someone is watching me or waiting on me...I have paruresis. Of course no one knows about this except me, and I would like to keep it that way, so what can I do? If I refuse to take the drug test, they won't let me work there...they may not even let me work there if I can't give a urine sample (which I won't be able to no matter how much I want to). I really don't want to tell them that I am not capable of giving a sample...I don't particularly like the idea of saying "I'm fucked up" on my first day of work which is what I would basically be doing. Is there any way around this?...What should I do?

ezrider

i recently had to give a urine sample for the army and it wasn't easy...
i don't think they will be watching you when you piss, just lock the door and relax. Have a lot of iced tea or cold water before you go there.

good luck :D

Hurricane

They normally don't watch while you fill the cup, you'll probably be stripped down in your underwear and will be put in a cabine. I think that's sufficient to say that you're not gonna cheat on the test.

Also, lot's of people have a problem peeing when there's people around. I read somewhere in an article that it takes a 'normal' person an average of 8 more seconds to pee when there's people around.

In case they do watch, just tell them you are uncomfortable with it. They'll give you the time you need and think nothing off it. I bet it happens all the time.

Toad

Thanks for the replies...unfortunately if they do insist on being in there, I won't be able to go no matter how long they wait or how much I do have to go. I don't know if they will insist on being in there...if they don't then I can probably manage. If they do insist on me being stripped down though, I'll have a different awkward explanation to give seen as I cut. Oh the joys of being fucked up.

Emma

You mean they would stand next to you and look at your......while you do it? Thats a bit off :oops:

Toad

Hehe...no. Just wait in the bathroom so they knew you weren't taking someone else's pee from a urinal or something else stupid like that. It's not so much a concern that they will be standing next to me watching me, it's more that if they are in the bathroom, I can't go.

mylifesucks

wow, i'm starting an internship next week also. they made me take a drug test and it was nonsupervised if that makes u feel any better. it's just an internship, they probably wont do any more than that. i am nervous since my internship is about 2000 miles from home and i haven't been that far from ever. i'll be meeting entirely new people, but i think i'll be ago. i'll just do what i usually: go to work then go home and lock myself in my room

Noca

Banned
I dont think they do this in Canada. I've had 15 jobs myself and have never been drug tested nor has anyone I know been drug tested.

DillJenkins

I dont think they do this in Canada. I've had 15 jobs myself and have never been drug tested nor has anyone I know been drug tested.

Another reason I love Canada. The Canadians see drug testing as an invasion of privacy.

In USA its like you are assumed guilty of being a drug user and must prove your innocence through piss. In reality, the piss test is only an intelligence test. If your a drug user and your smart enough to stop using for a bit or use other methods to pass, then your suitable for employment.

.....Back on topic.....If your condition is documented by a doctor then legally they cannot watch you. I believe its called "shy bladder syndrome" or something like that. Its considered discrimination under EEO laws.

Krista

So, I'm starting a summer internship next week, and am pretty much freaking out. There is my normal "I hate doing new things/meeting new people" type freaking out, but I'm used to that and can hide it. But there is also a freaking out because the information they sent me about working there said my offer of employment is dependent on me passing a "substance screening test". That's fine and all...I don't do drugs...hell...I don't even drink, but I'm assuming they will want me to take a pee in a cup while a person is standing in the bathroom to verify that is what I am actually doing.

I simply can't do that...I can't pee when someone is watching me or waiting on me...I have paruresis. Of course no one knows about this except me, and I would like to keep it that way, so what can I do? If I refuse to take the drug test, they won't let me work there...they may not even let me work there if I can't give a urine sample (which I won't be able to no matter how much I want to). I really don't want to tell them that I am not capable of giving a sample...I don't particularly like the idea of saying "I'm ****ed up" on my first day of work which is what I would basically be doing. Is there any way around this?...What should I do?

I honestly didn't think that could watch you when you go to the bathroom. If that was an actual option for them, maybe you could ask to do the drug test a different way and explain your reasoning.

Noca

Banned
Another reason I love Canada. The Canadians see drug testing as an invasion of privacy.

In USA its like you are assumed guilty of being a drug user and must prove your innocence through piss. In reality, the piss test is only an intelligence test. If your a drug user and your smart enough to stop using for a bit or use other methods to pass, then your suitable for employment.

.....Back on topic.....If your condition is documented by a doctor then legally they cannot watch you. I believe its called "shy bladder syndrome" or something like that. Its considered discrimination under EEO laws.

Yeah we don't have the DEA here. Our country is not obsessed with the War on Patients..erhm I mean the War on Drugs.