Need some help/advice please

Grah

Since December 2009 I was diagnosed with a Social Anxiety disorder, I was planning to tell my mum at the beginning of the New Year but I just can't bring anything up in conversation about my anxiety to tell her or anybody else, apart from people I speak to online. It's now nearly April and I'm still in the same situation.
My doctor's surgery is closing down and moving into the Health Centre where my sister works, So I’m going to have to tell my mum within 14 days because my appointment is on April the 14th but I’ve tried and can't. If I can't tell her I’m going to end up missing my appointment and it's going to put me under a lot of stress and I don't want to be having a breakdown or anything, I really don't know what to do.

Last edited:

Kanye West

Appointment for what? Getting meds? I think telling your Mom would just put you under more stress because it is hard to explain to normal people and I'm not sure what she could do for you that would really make a difference.

Grah

Just a check-up for how my anxiety is going but the psychiatrist I have to go to will also be at the health centre. I have to tell her because my sister works there and I don't want her to feel i've been keeping stuff like that from her and my family.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Just an idea... If you can't find the words to tell her, maybe you could show her some info online? Then you can explain that you have a hard time talking about this, that it's not easy for you to do so.

FOR REAL

Banned
that is a really tricky situation your in
if i was you i would tell my mum, i find that mums are really understanding about stuff :)

Grah

If you can't find the words to tell her, maybe you could show her some info online?

It's more like I can't bring it up in a conversation so I would also find it hard to show her info from on here, sorry I worded that abit wrong in my first post i'll edit it but thanks everyone.

mari_13

I think how you tell her or how much you tell her depends on the relationship you have with your mom. There are all kinds of moms and how they all react is different, so provably you should see how you feel more confortable with the situation.

Grah

Why would you miss your appointment if you don't tell your mom? Will she be driving you?

Because my sister works in the building in which my appointment is taking place, so she will see me and tell my mum, then I would be in another awkward situation.

I think how you tell her or how much you tell her depends on the relationship you have with your mom. There are all kinds of moms and how they all react is different, so provably you should see how you feel more confortable with the situation.

Me and my mum are close but I never really tell her my problems or worrys because I hide my feelings around people, I guess to try keep them happy.

Last edited:

philly2bits

Because my sister works in the building in which my appointment is taking place, so she will see me and tell my mum, then I would be in another awkward situation.

Maybe it will help if you go then. It will sort of force the situation out into the open. It may not be comfortable but it's better then keeping it bottled up and missing an appointment. You could even bring it up to your doctor that your sister and mother know. They may be able to help with the situation.

mari_13

Well I think if you are looking for help, It's because you are ready to make of your life what you wanted to be. And you are taking control. So just tell your mom the true that you are going to therapy.
Dont go into a lot of explanation and dont make it too much. Just say, hey mom I am so lucky I am going to therapy and is in my sisters building. And if she ask, tell her you want to work somethings out that make you have anxiaty

Grah

Maybe it will help if you go then. It will sort of force the situation out into the open. It may not be comfortable but it's better then keeping it bottled up and missing an appointment. You could even bring it up to your doctor that your sister and mother know. They may be able to help with the situation.

I guess that would be alot easiar then telling her, will still be hard but alot more managable. I'll try my hardest thanks.

Well I think if you are looking for help, It's because you are ready to make of your life what you wanted to be. And you are taking control. So just tell your mom the true that you are going to therapy.
Dont go into a lot of explanation and dont make it too much. Just say, hey mom I am so lucky I am going to therapy and is in my sisters building. And if she ask, tell her you want to work somethings out that make you have anxiaty

When the time comes for me to tell her for either being at the health centre or just telling her before i'll be sure to take this into consideration. Thanks

Last edited: