Need ideas for places to meet new people

blackomen

College is out and I'm running into increasing difficulty finding places where I can meet large number of new people, preferably in the 18-30 age group. I've gone to some parties and hobby groups but the people there tend to hang around their own cliques. I rarely go to bars and clubs and I feel a bit weird going to one alone (all of my friends have gone home for the summer.)

Please provide some ideas for places to meet new people this summer (besides the Internet; I'd rather meet people in person the first time.) Although not essential, I'd prefer a places where people are less inclined to hang around their own groups and are most open to meeting new people. Thanks.

YankeeBob

Where to meet new people:

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

1) Do some volunteer work over the summer.

This is where you can practice making conversation, helping others, and connecting ( another word for intimacy ) with other people.

2) Join a group. It might be mountain bike riding, it might be hiking, it might be showing overseas visitors around the city.

Just do it.

3) Go to your local GP and ask him/her for ideas. Anything you share with your family doctor will be kept confidential.

Hope this helps.

Take care. Be well.

Iseesky

Go somewhere where you can easily ask questions. Another person suggested a library, and I think that's a great idea! Although you wont meet large groups of people, because most libraries are very quiet, it wont be intimidating. You can talk to the person one on one without being embarassed by anyone else seing you. Plus, most people go to the library by themselves. You can easily slip in a question like 'hmmm...I'm looking for a good book to read over the summer, have any suggestions?' Or, 'have your heard of (book title)? I can't seem to find it anywhere...' You'll probably find many people your age there, especially if the library is near your campus, lots of people probably have research to do for projects and things.

ditto

organize to meet people from this website in your city

volunteer in festivals or other fun events

join community classes/lessions (short courses or sports team)

good luck