Need Advice (:

SkyBlue

helllo everybody this is my first time posting on the forum :)

I'm a 19 year old girl from Florida, and for the past couple years i have been
going in and out of suffering from social phobia. Until the age of 17 i had
always been a very outgoing, friendly, talkative person with many friends. In

the middle of my junior year of high school i spent a little less than 2 weeks in the hospital because of viral meningitis. I fully recovered but after i returned to school i had a ton of make up work, and felt i could not relate to

any of my friends because i had been gone for 2 weeks and now that i was back my parents were not letting me go out (because i just got out of the hospital and needed to take it easy) which caused major anxiety for the first

time, I was so overwhelmed with the school work and not being able to relate that i decided to continue my junior year through a home schooling program. During this time i stopped talking to all my friends, because i had

nothing to talk about, all i was doing was my classes online and watching TV all day ( my close friends would call worried about me to see if i was okay, but i wouldn't answer for about 5 months because i was scared of having

nothing to talk about, and awkward conversation) When the school year finished and summer came i decided to reconnect with my old friends, and also made many new friends, but ended up going a little over board in the partying. When senior year came around i was back to my old outgoing, fun

self, but after two weeks of returning to my school i got arrested for getting pulled over and a friend having weed in the car. I was then sent to a rehab center for weed for about 2 months, and when i returned i had the same problem relating to my close friends again. I finished my senior year with a home school program and during that time did not want to leave the house or talk to anyone, scared of not being able to relate or not knowing what to

talk about... etc (that lasted about 6 months) After i graduated from high school last year, and summer came around i reconnected with a couple of my close friends and got a job as a hostess/waitress, started community college, and also started dating this guy who was a few years older than me

and had his own place. I was fighting with my parents alot so i ended up moving in with my new bf. I didn't do very well in my first semester of college due to just plain laziness and focusing more on my new relationship and going

out than school. In the beginning of this year my mom had recommended that i try a job as a flight attendant b/c i wanted to take a break from school. Also she did not approve of my bf, so it was a way to break us up considering I'd probably be living in a new state. I ended up nailing the interview process and getting the job,, i was sent to Dallas, Texas for my

training in the beginning of April, After a week of flight attendant training i had a major anxiety attack because i was not used to the schedule of waking up at 6 am and training all day until 7 at night around the same people breakfast lunch and dinner running out of things to talk about and seeming awkward around people especially because i haven't had many life experiences in the past 3 years that I'm very proud of. Also I'm one of the

youngest there. Flight attendants are also known for being very outgoing, talkative, social, and carefree... Ive been living at home again with my parents since my melt down in April in the same rut as before not talking to

anyone again, or wanting to go out and socialize with anyone in fear that i will come off as awkward as i have nothing to talk about because all i do all day is sleep, eat, watch tv, go for a walk and do it all over again. I am planning to go back to flight attendant training on August 31, and i am super

scared and have no idea what to do to prepare.... i can't fail at this opportunity because its the only thing i have going for me right now, i really cant stay at home any longer... i love my parents very much and they have

been more than understanding with whats going on with me, but i need to get my own life, but i am so scared and haven't talked to anybody or done anything for about 5 months now, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. i really need HELP on what to do, and how to get over this SA thing :(

thx~ :)

da_illest101

I'm not gonna lie but i didn't read it all. All i can tell you is that 19 is young to want yo dtart your life without your parents. Continue leeching for a couple years lol. Also if you are scared of people, that might not be the best job. One thing i learn is trying to beat your fears in one shot or without the proper mental preparation can have terriblr consequences. Stop small and work your way up

Srijita52

I think you're an outgoing person,but you're being too hard on yourself.Its normal to be anxious at a new job where you don't know anyone.Are you a little intimidated by your job?If you don't think its the right job for you,don't do it.It'll only make you more anxious & don't push yourself too much,you don't have to be super outgoing to be likable.I'm sure you're fine just the way you are.Good Luck:)

Sea Bass

Wow, flight attendant!? You're way ahead of the game sister, as far as having SA goes. I would really enjoy having the opportunity of traveling abroad and experiencing new things as a flight attendant would. You have a lot to show for yourself! You have overcome meningitis, know what it really means to be independent, and seem to be a very outgoing individual (these, of course, are only a few things out of many). Although, I do agree with the other posters on the thread. Maybe you should slow down a bit. It might behoove you to take some down time and take advantage of the fact that you are still with your parents. Maybe you could delay things a bit to build yourself up before you're on your own? What I mean by this is taking a brake, working on school, and probably getting a job that doesn't require you to go so far away from home. I'm telling you this because I have not only read your post and took some time to think about it, but also because, a few years back, I experienced the need to rush things and it failed miserably (I am only speaking from personal experience). As I see it, the world is hard enough as it is and being prepared for it really helps.

Last edited:

SM1010

I'm not sure I can relate, because I've never been outgoing. My SA has always been there and I've always been very shy.

But maybe you should try some kind of anxiety medication? Just as needed, not an everyday thing. Some anxiety drugs can be quite addicting.

EDIT: I don't know much about meningitis but it definitely sounds like it could have caused your SA. It says it can cause behavioral difficulties.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

I think you're an outgoing person,but you're being too hard on yourself.Its normal to be anxious at a new job where you don't know anyone.Are you a little intimidated by your job?If you don't think its the right job for you,don't do it.It'll only make you more anxious & don't push yourself too much,you don't have to be super outgoing to be likable.I'm sure you're fine just the way you are.Good Luck:)

thx, and yeah i think I'm a little intimidated by the training aspect because of
having to study and interact with ppl.... all day and night considering i will have a roommate... (the thing that worries me the most is... if they ask about my life i literally have not been doing anything... Ive stopped talking to my close friends, who must think I'm a freak because Ive disappeared from the world like 3 times now with no explaintion, and just calll out of the blue 6 months later... my question is if they ask me about my life i have no friends... no real hobbies... and my pastt well isnt something you share just meeting someone lol ughhhh what to do

SkyBlue

Wow, flight attendant!? You're way ahead of the game sister, as far as having SA goes. I would really enjoy having the opportunity of traveling abroad and experiencing new things as a flight attendant would. You have a lot to show for yourself! You have overcome meningitis, know what it really means to be independent, and seem to be a very outgoing individual (these, of course, are only a few things out of many). Although, I do agree with the other posters on the thread. Maybe you should slow down a bit. It might behoove you to take some down time and take advantage of the fact that you are still with your parents. Maybe you could delay things a bit to build yourself up before you're on your own? What I mean by this is taking a brake, working on school, and probably getting a job that doesn't require you to go so far away from home. I'm telling you this because I have not only read your post and took some time to think about it, but also because, a few years back, I experienced the need to rush things and it failed miserably (I am only speaking from personal experience). As I see it, the world is hard enough as it is and being prepared for it really helps.

Staying home with my parents actually scares me more than being on my own, staying home i would feel zero confidence (as i do now) considering i still live with my parents they would have to approve of everything and everyone i meet... awkward( most ppl my age don't have to check in or introduce ppl to there parents to be allowed out) plus i have no car i'd have a curfew and just feel i like a loser... at least being on my own will allow me to build some confidence... I'm more scared of failing this training and coming home than actually staying home and trying to go back to school and get a job. i just don't know how to mentally prepare myself for this training...

maiato

Banned
Just one advice: Follow your dreams, dont give up dont give up dont give up!! I once wanted to be flight assistant...I just give up at first...i would give anything in life to had that chance again. They say there are 3 things that we cant get it back again: words said, time and opportunities. So dont let the time pass to this opportunity. Make it for me, for your family. MAKE IT FOR YOU.

And remember...."our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength."

SkyBlue

Just one advice: Follow your dreams, dont give up dont give up dont give up!! I once wanted to be flight assistant...I just give up at first...i would give anything in life to had that chance again. They say there are 3 things that we cant get it back again: words said, time and opportunities. So dont let the time pass to this opportunity. Make it for me, for your family. MAKE IT FOR YOU.

And remember...."our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength."

Thank you so much for your kind words, your right you just have to stick to it and not give up, I tend to give up too easily and let my negative thoughts get the best of me but if I don't change my ways now I'm going to regret alot in my future

maiato

Banned
The problem of SA is that we tend to think, think, think to much....that dream of u will probably stay around every single time in your future if u give up. It might seems a cliche: but dont give up without a fight..

Keep this music in your mind, make it a obsession if u need!!! But dont u dare to GIVE UP withou a fight!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywLe0AukTo

Srijita52

thx, and yeah i think I'm a little intimidated by the training aspect because of
having to study and interact with ppl.... all day and night considering i will have a roommate... (the thing that worries me the most is... if they ask about my life i literally have not been doing anything... Ive stopped talking to my close friends, who must think I'm a freak because Ive disappeared from the world like 3 times now with no explaintion, and just calll out of the blue 6 months later... my question is if they ask me about my life i have no friends... no real hobbies... and my pastt well isnt something you share just meeting someone lol ughhhh what to do

Yeah,that can be tough.I don't have tons of suggestions but maybe you can say jokingly "Ha yeah I guess I'm in a little rut now.I've lost contacts with some of my old friends & really have to make some new ones." Don't show that its an huge deal to you,ask them about their lives & try to get things going on for you now.Don't let your past control you.