natural or learned?

Is shyness learned or not

• Not learned (cant think of a more appropiate word)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

funnynickname

howdy folks,
just a bit curious of your opinions on this. actually first of all an introduction. Im 24 and i think that most people i meet think im a bit weird. this is because i can't hold a decent conversation with anyone. i have read a few of the posts on the other topics and can relate to some of them, but do not suffer from any physical effect like some of you.
i worry too much about what other people think of me and don't have the ability to stop worrying about it. things have been getting worse for me recenty, i've been to a few parties where i've just sat there and not said a word to anyone, in fact i completely cleared out a room. i am always paranoid that when certain people are talking the things they say are meant to have double meanings and that they are really taking the piss out of me. i have a small group of friends who i can tell are worried about me but haven't really brought up the subject yet. They all have other groups of friends and most of them that i have met don't like me.

I get the feeling that most people think im a pretty interesting person before they speak to me but when they try and make conversation that assumption dissappears pretty quickly.

anyway, the question i was going to ask was.... do you think that shyness is something that you are born with i.e something to do with the physical workings of how the brain works, or is it something that you get from your experiences in life or lack thereof?
1 more thing, when you get emails from this site is it obvious where its from, just to prove my point about worrying about what people think of me, i dont want someone who looks at my screen to see an email from social phobia world. :oops: coments on any of the above are appreciated :wink:

blight

Maybe you could say people are born either extroverted or introverted but I don't think that exactly correleates to not shy/shy.

There is a distinct factor of "fear" involved in shyness I think...and that has to come from somewhere. How could we be born scared of interaction or other people?

I think it has a lot to do with 1.)never getting accostomed to socializing which most people learn at a young age; and/or 2.)having gradual negative reinforcements build up over time. and/or 3.)having one really bad incident that makes you feel shy from then on.

Btw, I can definitely relate to how you feel in social situations or parties.

longlivesolitude

A factor to whether you get SA or not may also have something to do with how "sensitive" you are, which I think is something that is genetic.

Septor

Some people have a predisposition to get sa because of genetic.Which can be exaggerated by how someone grows up and what they learn.