Natural (non prescription) Medication.

I was prescribed Diazepam (which I found is just the generic version of Valium) and I don't think I'm that into it. I feel it doesn't help with anxiety for me, just makes me feel a little sedated. In fact, as a girl who tended to party while in high school, it really just made me feel like I took a couple hits (weed). That's not what I'm looking for!

I was interested in natural medication and came across something called Withania (aka Ashwagandha.....actually aka a LOT of things/check out the Wikipedia page haha). Out of all the claimed uses for it, reducing anxiety was one of the three that have actually been clinically tested. I've also heard that 5-HTP can help as well. Links below, in case you're interested.

Anyone ever tried or are currently using these? If not, what seems to work best for you? I came across this day/night stress and anxiety stuff from GNC and would be pretty curious about that too! Link for that is also below =]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera
Natrol® Stress Anxiety Day & Nite - NATROL - GNC

Last edited:
So I got the day and night natural stress and anxiety pills from GNC, and I have to say I feel I'm going in the right direction. Much better than valium. Actually, one of the ingredients in the day formula (L-Theanine) is said to be nature's valium which I thought was funny. I would normally be a skeptic when it comes to stuff like this, but every ingredient in both the day and nite formula's are all either naturally used to help anxiety or they are vitamins that, if you don't get enough of them, it can cause anxiety. I've only had them for three days, but I only take half of the pill a day instead of the whole thing and still feel a difference!

The day formula has vitamin B-6, B-12, Folic acid, 5-HTP, and L-Theanine.
The nite formula has vitamin E, Calcium, L-Glutamine, Valerian Extract, Grape Seed Extract, and Melatonin.

constance

I'm so glad you posted this, I've never liked the idea of using prescription meds. Did you get Natrol? That's what I'm seeing on GNC's site.

decadeOfSA

Valium is a very mild benzo, so it may take something like Klonopin or Xanax to see a benefit. I suggest you stay away from benzos though as they are habit forming and will hurt you in the long run if you get addicted to them.

Try antidepressants like Paxil instead. Don't waste your money on non-drugs that aren't approved by the FDA. They are not regulated at all and some of them can be harmful and most will not help at all. They are a waste of money.

Psychotherapy, like CBT is your best option though, but it won't work overnight.

decadeOfSA

I'm so glad you posted this, I've never liked the idea of using prescription meds. Did you get Natrol? That's what I'm seeing on GNC's site.

At least prescription drugs are regulated. About anything else isn't, unless there are serious side effects and a lot of people start complaining. Any company can make a product and say it does this or that, but they don't have to prove it. At least with prescription drugs, they have to undergo trials and prove they work somewhat.

EscapeArtist

When I took 5-htp my mood was a little better, I don't remember if my anxiety was better. I took very little of it to start (20mg every few days) because I accidentally started on 200mg and it was WAY too much, and made me feel like a zombie and gave me palpitations. Start small.

Constance, yes I got Natrol. And DecadeOfSA, I totally hear ya. I do want to go to therapy and possibly get something right prescribed but, as sad as it may seem, I simply don't have the money. I will say though that when I found the Natrol stuff at GNC, I wasn't looking just anything to help my anxiety. I researched different natural things like 5-HTP. This Natrol thing just has a combination of the things I researched, just in much smaller doses than I found as suggested doses.

It's definitely not a cure, but in terms of making me feel more motivated to work on the problem (before I can receive true help), this has seemed to help.

NP88

St Johns wort in the liquid extract form is very helpfull. Eases physical and mental symptoms of anxiety (Purchase a good brand the quality makes or breaks the desired effect).

Mucana Prurians (velvet bean) also increases my well being and mood instantly. It has the dopamine precursor L-dopa in it which you body uses to produce more dopamine. I would suggest going organic with these if possible.

5-HTP also seems to be of interest. I never used it long enough as I was put off by the amount of processing involved though I could see the potential.

Also exercise and eating right is HUGE in improving symptoms.

Last edited:

Davevanza

I was prescribed Diazepam (which I found is just the generic version of Valium) and I don't think I'm that into it. I feel it doesn't help with anxiety for me, just makes me feel a little sedated. In fact, as a girl who tended to party while in high school, it really just made me feel like I took a couple hits (weed). That's not what I'm looking for!

I was interested in natural medication and came across something called Withania (aka Ashwagandha.....actually aka a LOT of things/check out the Wikipedia page haha). Out of all the claimed uses for it, reducing anxiety was one of the three that have actually been clinically tested. I've also heard that 5-HTP can help as well. Links below, in case you're interested.

Anyone ever tried or are currently using these? If not, what seems to work best for you? I came across this day/night stress and anxiety stuff from GNC and would be pretty curious about that too! Link for that is also below =]

5-Hydroxytryptophan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Withania somnifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Natrol® Stress Anxiety Day & Nite - NATROL - GNC

Hi,
I couldn't find 5-HTP here in Australia, even in GNC.

As natural product, I used lastime Valerian roots ( not including the stalks, as it causes headache as i asked a naturopath and standardised at least to contain Valeric Acid, which she said it binds to GABA-a receptor like Valium)

And I use occasionally, last time Passionflower, and got explanation from the naturopath that, its efficacy is comparable to Benzodiazepine called Oxazepam, done through research. And passionflower is also used by those who are tapering down from opiates such as codeine,etc.

That's all I know.

I hope this info is useful.
But remember, each one of us react differently even to the same medication/supplement. The best sound advice to get is from your naturopath or Doctor or other Healthcare professional.

Kind regards,
dave