my wife has agoraphobia but isn't seeking help

JamesL

I hope someone can help me out.. my wife has been diagnosed with agoraphobia by her doctor, is on medication, was advised by our primary care physician to find a therapist but she isn't. The part that worries me most is her drinking when we go out places.. from what I've read many people turn to alcohol because they think it's helping them cope.

Anyways, can anyone offer me advice on trying to convince her to make the call to get some help? Whenever I try and bring it up she says she'll do it 'tomorrow' but never does. She hangs out with her best friend more than me and I've thought of saying something to her to help as well as my wifes mom, but I'm worried about making the anxiety worse bring other people into it.

I love her to death.. just 'dealing with it' and not seeing her get help is hard.

Heck, should I call a psychiatrist to talk?

Thanks for anything, I've searched around online and this seemed like a decent place to stop by and post.

Hmmm. That's a tricky situation. I wouldn't go behind her back and ring the psychiatrist.It's fairly complicated because I certainly wouldn't want someone trying to 'tell' me how to get better. At least that's how I would take it. And I'm sure it's very hard for her to see a light at the end of the tunnel, that's maybe why she's not seeking help. All I can think of is maybe just to talk to her. Not to try and convince her to get help, not to give advice, just to ask her what she's thinking and how she's doing. Just ask her how she is. Then maybe it could come up in the conversation.
You seem like a really concerned caring guy. She's very lucky to have you. Stay like that! :lol:
And good luck. Tell us how it goes!