My thoughts overpower my potetial

I came to the realization that I can't naturally change the way I think. I can't just train my brain to stop caring what people think of me, or to stop thinking in 3rd person. It's too hard, I'm just someone who's always thinking. I feel like it's easy for me to run out of things to say, even with friends. It's not there's a flow that my brain interrupts by saying "no, that's not good enough!" It's that I often can't think of anything to add other than "yeah".

But here's the thing. In my dreams... I'm a good conversationalist. I swear, when I'm dreaming I have these quick moving conversations with people, which is all coming from me! It's like I'm back to thinking like a kid, back to being in a more primitive mindset.

SO

since I can't just train myself to shut off my mind, I want to know if there's anyone here who've taken any medications that have had dramatic effects on them. I take a low dose of Zoloft, but when I was on a higher dose, it didn't help. So what worked for you? And not for anxiety (I'm not anxious at all), but for just being a good conversationalist?

Last edited:

SickJoke

The reason you have trouble keeping a conversation with someone else, is because you're too busy keeping a conversation with yourself in your own head. You might not even be aware of the conversation in your head, because it's subconscious.

So since I'm against medication for social anxiety, my advice would be to take conscious control of your self talk (the conversation in your head). I have a link to a thread on that topic in my sig, called "One simple thing that changed my life."