My therapist said tackling my SA core belief will cure it

Moses199

It's my second visit to the a therapist today and we got down to talking about anxiety reduction techniques. I asked him if anxiety reductions techiques will at some point cure my SA and he said no, that tackling the core beliefs is what will cure it. Is this true?

Sacrament

Both, I guess. The environment you grew up in and your experiences shaped your way of thinking and feeling. It's like thinking about that one guy who teased you when you were a kid and made you feel this or that way, and then you just assume everyone's like that and everyone's judging you negatively wherever you go. If you look at it rationally, and slowly realize that's not even close to being true, you can challenge those thought patterns and replace them with new ways of thinking and acting.

Moses199

Both, I guess. The environment you grew up in and your experiences shaped your way of thinking and feeling. It's like thinking about that one guy who teased you when you were a kid and made you feel this or that way, and then you just assume everyone's like that and everyone's judging you negatively wherever you go. If you look at it rationally, and slowly realize that's not even close to being true, you can challenge those thought patterns and replace them with new ways of thinking and acting.

Makes sense, so the best way to breakdown core beliefs is self talk? or CBT?

Megaten

Yeah I think so too. Ive been told to also write down what exactly it is Im telling myself when feeling anxious/down. Because a lot of times those core beliefs are hard to pick out.

Sacrament

Makes sense, so the best way to breakdown core beliefs is self talk? or CBT?

Slowly replace your self-speech. What you tell yourself is what's true. If you tell yourself you're a loser, then you convince yourself that you are. If you tell yourself you deserve a good, steady job and to be happy, then that's what you deserve and strive for. As you think, so you become.