my story with social anxiety

marwan kamel

i am 22 years old and i a have a younger brother and sister
i think i have social anxiety since the day i was born but it was only a matter of time .Both my parents have social anxiety so that affected my personality genetically and also my parents have lots of problems and were always fighting in front of us .they both blame their sad life on each other and regret being married in the first place .besides they are not social and our family is isolated from other people and almost no people visit us
my school days are acually pretty good i was always the first on my school that made people want to be friends with me even if was very shy
in high school i got the second rank and i joined the medical college
and here i manifested social anxiety
i couldn't cope with my colleagues and i was a shy person .i couldn't make relationships with girls even if i am a good looking person .i got depressed and missed lots of lectures . i tried to took driving classes but i discovered i had phobia for driving . i avoided every presentation in college because i cant talk infront of people i lost most of my friends because i cant anxious when we go ontrip together or something and they thought i was avoiding them. i failed 2 years in college becuase of my social anxiety
and now after suffering and with the help of my therapist i finished college

now i am depressed and staying at home .if it wasnt for my social anxiety
i would have became a successful doctor. now i am depressed i cant go to start working and as u know i need to be social to be a good doctor
everyone around became better than me because of my scoial anxiety
i lost the best years of my life . i didnit enjoy it and now i cant deal with the fact of me losing things day after day and no one around me understands or really cares about my problems or how i feel . i joined here so can find any one who supports me or tell what i can do

Last edited:

Luke1993

Thank you for sharing and welcome to this site! A doctor is quite a prestigious job, you must be very smart to have been applying for one! Is that what you want to do or do you think maybe you should go for something else?

Also don't say anybody is better than you! Comparing yourself to others is one of the worst things you can do, it destroyed me! And don't say you lost the best years of your life, because you haven't lived your whole life yet! The best years of your life could be starting this year! Don't give up!

babegolden20

i agree with the post above one of the worst things is trying to compare ourselves to other ppl its only natural to do that though it could always be worst at least apparently you are able to even be around ppl some ppl on this site are not are plain out scared of other ppl and have not left there house for years. Its not easy but try to look at the good instead of the bad.