My story and solution

nearly_cured

My story is just like many others on this forum, I was in school when blushing started at around 15. Prepare for a very long topic ...

When I got asked a question by the teacher, I'd go really red. To start off, no one really noticed it. But as time went on, people started to clock on that I went red all the time, my blushing got worse and I started to red when my friends called my name from accross the glass. And of course, when I went red, people would ask "why are you going red" and shout out "look he's gone red!". This just made my facial blushing worse and eventually I had no confidence at all. One of the worst things that happened to me was when people realised if they said I would go red, that I actually did. A whole note got passed around one of my classes that said when "mynamehere reads this, he's going to go red" and yep, I did. How embarrasing.

I quit school a few months before I was supposed to take my GCSE's, I decided enough was enough and I'd figure out what I would do later. My parents knew I wasn't happy at school but didn't know why I was not going in, obviously they were asking me why but I was so embarrassed to tell them. Eventually I told them why and even though they didn't understand how bad it was, they supported me and made contact with my school to explain why I was off. They persisted that I went to the doctors, and despite seeing 3-4 different doctors, I got the same advice that I had to try and take control of the blushing. Obviously these doctors have no idea how hard that can be.

A few months of sitting at my computer and watching TV passed, and GCSE exams were coming up. I still hadn't been to school for a few months but I was being pushed to take them. I was convinced I was not going to take them but managed to pluck up the courage to take them after support from my family. Going back in was the most nerve racking thing ever, especially considering I knew so many people would be asking me why I was off. I was allowed to take my exams in a different location to everyone else so I managed to avoid most of the questions as to why I was off.

I took my GCSE's, and once I did them I was so proud of myself that I got through school knowing I had come out with some qualifications. When I left school I was pretty sure that I'd end up with none.

Although my parents understood my condition, they said I had to attempt to go to college or get a job. When they told me that, I was fuming. After all that I'd gone through, they wanted me to do that. I thought to myself, everyone at college is much more mature and wouldn't react to my blushing like people did at school, and that there was no way I could deal with customers at a shop or something.

I was still a nervous wreck at this time, but I decided I would apply for college. Looking around at colleges was extremely hard as they were full of groups of teenagers who I was intimidated by. I picked a college and signed up for it, despite being pretty sure I would leave very soon.

About two weeks into the college course, I quit. I was still going red when I was asked questions or people asked me something. I decided that after school, going to college was too much for me and I just wanted to do nothing forever.

My parents were not happy but they respected my decision and were glad that I just tried college. They then pushed to see if I would get a job at a retail store. I was still blushing a lot at this time, but when I was told I had to get a job because they were no longer going to support me financially (clothes etc), I decided I'll give it ago.

Looking for a job was the hardest thing ever, especially when I went red everytime I asked people at customer services if they had any job vacancies.

A few weeks later after handing a few of my CVs out, I got a call back and got offered an interview. I was excited but nervous at the same time. When the day of the interview came, my heart was pumping. I was pretty sure I was going to pass out.

Reluctantly, I got out of my mums car and walked to the shop I was applying for the job in. I approached customer services nervously and told them I was there for an interview. Luckily the woman was very nice and took me to where I was supposed to go. I was then introduced to the manager and he then said "I'll show you to the staff room and I'll be with you in a few minutes". And he did, as I walked into the staff room there were around 5-6 other people in there, all looking at me as I walked in nervously. I could feel my face warming up and just tried to block it out. Because they didn't know me they didn't say anything, thankfully.

The manager came back and directed me to the interview room, a few questions later I was told I'd be contacted later on regarding whether or not I got the job.

Just as I thought I was not going to get the job, I got a phonecall telling me I did. I thought to my self, "what have I got myself into... I can't deal with people without blushing".

On my first day, I had customers asking me where abouts things were in the shop. I replied to them with the best answer I could, if I didn't know where it was, I would say "Sorry it's my first day here so I'm not exactly sure" and smiled/laughed, of course, I could feel my face going a bit red.

The second day was pretty much like the first day, and so was the third, and the fourth. But eventually, I started to notice that I was dealing with customers without going red. After lasting a few days, my confidence went up and the amount of times I went red went down.

I do still blush, and I'm still not as confident as I want to be. But I don't blush at work at all (apart from in the confined and awkward staff room occasionally) and I have the confidence to approach customers if I hear them querying something with whoever the customer is shopping with.

Okay, probably should have called the thread my life story. Quite a long read, but the point I'm trying to get across is there are things that will work. For me, it was being persistent in trying different things. I honestly do think that getting a job in a retail store is a great solution, the customer doesn't know that you go red, isn't expecting you to go red, and won't mention that you are going red.

I know a lot of you are thinking, well maybe he didn't blush as much as I do. You're wrong, I use to have no confidence at all. I would blush all the time, even blush infront of my family at the dinner table when someone I was asked how was my day or what did I do for the day.

I even plucked up the courage to go to the staffs christmas party. I really wasn't thinking of going, but a lot of people said it would be cool if I came. I was just imagining the awkward conversation and the feeling of being trapped. Of course, when I got there it was fine, but if someone had mentioned party to me a few years ago, I would have said no way.

madmike

Well done on conquering it, i don't suffer from blushing myself but i have a nervous tick so i understand your fear. I think that's what we should all be doing, just trying out loads of different things and never let anyone stop us. At the end of the day at least we'll have tried! best of luck :)

nearly_cured

I haven't conquered it yet, I think I'll have to live with facial blushing all my life. However where I have to talk to people daily eventually you start to not care. I am definitely more confident though, and do not blush anywhere near as much as what I did.

joolsy

Interesting story, I can never quite pinpoint when my blushing first started but i believe around when i was 10. It has also gradually gotten worse but only seems bad in very light places, if i wear sunglasses inside it seems to relax me. My new years resolution is to conquer it and go and get cbt or whatever the therapy is called. I can understand with the jobs it can really effect you especially when going for job interview and you have to do a group discussion, there the worst haha. Anyway i wish you the best of luck with it and if you have any questions send me a holla.

TforceNab

I used to suffer badly with it, but like yourself, with a public job, it defo got better. However, it has not diminished. I notice now, my blushing occurs mainly when I am confronted by an authorative figure, if people laugh at my jokes (why I don't know, I made 'em laugh!) and when someone highlights a mistake I have made.

I want to join the Police, however with the amount of confrontation thos guys get, interviewing rogues with solicitors defending them etc. I feel my redness may well prove to be a severe hindrance.

Beta Blockers do help, though the body seems to develop a tolerance to them, so they cannot really be used as a daily medication to relieve your symptoms..unfortunately.

I just wanna safe cure!

lzl

TforceNab said:
I used to suffer badly with it, but like yourself, with a public job, it defo got better. However, it has not diminished. I notice now, my blushing occurs mainly when I am confronted by an authorative figure, if people laugh at my jokes (why I don't know, I made 'em laugh!) and when someone highlights a mistake I have made.

I want to join the Police, however with the amount of confrontation thos guys get, interviewing rogues with solicitors defending them etc. I feel my redness may well prove to be a severe hindrance.

Hi.
I'm new here (and not from an english-speaking country, so forgive me if I confuse you :p ) and the only reason I signed in was because I can relate to you, and tought it would be nice if I gave you some of my experiences and soon-too-be experiences.
I am actually graduating from the police academy in my country in 2011. And in 2010 I will be working the streets with a supervisor and the rest of the force, before it's back to school and finish the the last year.

So, anyway, I have the same problem with blushing. It's awful, and I fu*** hate it. Think I got it when I was 16, now I'm 22.
I always blush when speaking in front of a crowd of more than 2-3 ppl. I don't know why, cause I don't really feel I have low self-confidence or something.. it just happens. If I talk to my teachers I can easily blush, and especially if I am reprimanded, oh god.. that's the worst.
And when it happens, that I blush, I get really frustrated about it because I know everyone is watching.. and I can't focus right. Mainly I blush when being inside.. not out in open space...fucked up shit.
I have said to myself that to overcome it I just have to face it.. I must admit to people that comments it that "yes, I do blush. (tnx for commenting, tard)." And when it happens now, I try to seem as confident as possible, even tough it bothers me extremely.
People think "bad" about you if they see you are woulnerable, but if you seem confident and strong, they will still notice, but don't care.
And before, during presentations and shit, I would always touch my face and say something like " wow.. I got a little warm" and that kinda stupid things. Don't fucking do anything. Pretend it's not there!! And my god, how hard that is.

I don't know how next year is going to be, but I know one thing for sure, I will blush a lot. Example; when questioning a suspect, being in court and those things.
But I will continue to seem confident on the outside, while wanting to run away on the inside.

Very well.. If you're staying on the forum, I can tell you more about my experiences when they come.

Thanks for reading.

TforceNab

lzl said:
TforceNab said:

Hi.
I'm new here (and not from an english-speaking country, so forgive me if I confuse you :p ) and the only reason I signed in was because I can relate to you, and tought it would be nice if I gave you some of my experiences and soon-too-be experiences.
I am actually graduating from the police academy in my country in 2011. And in 2010 I will be working the streets with a supervisor and the rest of the force, before it's back to school and finish the the last year.

So, anyway, I have the same problem with blushing. It's awful, and I fu*** hate it. Think I got it when I was 16, now I'm 22.
I always blush when speaking in front of a crowd of more than 2-3 ppl. I don't know why, cause I don't really feel I have low self-confidence or something.. it just happens. If I talk to my teachers I can easily blush, and especially if I am reprimanded, oh god.. that's the worst.
And when it happens, that I blush, I get really frustrated about it because I know everyone is watching.. and I can't focus right. Mainly I blush when being inside.. not out in open space...fucked up shit.
I have said to myself that to overcome it I just have to face it.. I must admit to people that comments it that "yes, I do blush. (tnx for commenting, tard)." And when it happens now, I try to seem as confident as possible, even tough it bothers me extremely.
People think "bad" about you if they see you are woulnerable, but if you seem confident and strong, they will still notice, but don't care.
And before, during presentations and shit, I would always touch my face and say something like " wow.. I got a little warm" and that kinda stupid things. Don't fucking do anything. Pretend it's not there!! And my god, how hard that is.

I don't know how next year is going to be, but I know one thing for sure, I will blush a lot. Example; when questioning a suspect, being in court and those things.
But I will continue to seem confident on the outside, while wanting to run away on the inside.

Very well.. If you're staying on the forum, I can tell you more about my experiences when they come.

Thanks for reading.

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to reply...it is really appreciated. Can I first ask what country it is you are from? I assumed that if I blushed in a interview and/or assessment for the Police that would immediately go against me...so can you remember if you blushed at any time throughout the selection process?

I feel good solace in when you say that being confident and strong even during an episode of blushing can make you feel better. I can actually imagine that being true - if you don't seem to be bothered, why should the audience? I actually think I can relate to that...I think I, at one time, had to endure this very situation though I cannot remember for sure. For alll I know, it could have been a hopeful dream!

I tend to feel more confident in front of a large group because then, I find it easy to disregard a big bulk of people whilst talking to others, and then focus my attention on another set of people when I feel the "eyes burn"! In a one on one, two on one situation, that can be a little harder hence why I blush more with less people.

I would appreciate your informal posts regarding your progress in your career - perhaps I should even follow your lead and join anyway! It's of sme comfort to know someone with this problem is actively fulfilling my desired ambition.

I do realise that the problem feels worse than it looks, but my gawwd, is it hard to convince yourself of that!

troubleddavid

Hi,

I find blushing to be a real problem too. I think the worst part for me though was bottling up the problem and not sharing it with others, especially family.

This seems to have given me more confidence when I am around people and has stopped the laughing that they all did when they saw me go bright red.

lzl

TforceNab said:
lzl said:
TforceNab said:
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to reply...it is really appreciated. Can I first ask what country it is you are from? I assumed that if I blushed in a interview and/or assessment for the Police that would immediately go against me...so can you remember if you blushed at any time throughout the selection process?

I feel good solace in when you say that being confident and strong even during an episode of blushing can make you feel better. I can actually imagine that being true - if you don't seem to be bothered, why should the audience? I actually think I can relate to that...I think I, at one time, had to endure this very situation though I cannot remember for sure. For alll I know, it could have been a hopeful dream!

I tend to feel more confident in front of a large group because then, I find it easy to disregard a big bulk of people whilst talking to others, and then focus my attention on another set of people when I feel the "eyes burn"! In a one on one, two on one situation, that can be a little harder hence why I blush more with less people.

I would appreciate your informal posts regarding your progress in your career - perhaps I should even follow your lead and join anyway! It's of sme comfort to know someone with this problem is actively fulfilling my desired ambition.

I do realise that the problem feels worse than it looks, but my gawwd, is it hard to convince yourself of that!

Hello again.

Sure, no problem :)
Yes, I'm from Norway.
I don't know what country you are from, so I don't know what the selection process for you are. But yes, I had an interview with a psychologist, a police officer, the chief of police and a "civilian" (a teacher) at the same time.. they asked a lot of questions, and you can say I was more than slightly nervous.
And offcourse I blushed.. almost burned up. But somehow I got through it, and they didn't comment it.

Just know, it took a long time for me to build the confidence, trying not to be bothered by it. But I couldn't let this shit be telling me what I could and could not do. Now I just look them straight in the eyes when they look, and I never ever let myself look down. I will hold until they feel they have to look away. And I'm all shaky inside.. but they'll never know.

When you blush, and blush and blush and blush.. and getting comments and shit.. your self-confidence reaches a new low.. I've been there, and it's like a pain only you know.. no-one can see it.. and you get so afraid of blushing that you will do anything to avoid it.
And it just came to me that I couldn't go on like that.. I had to try something to stop this.. but in the begginning I was to afraid.. I just had to let go of the pressure and comment myself before someone else did.. Now, I try not to.. but I crack sometimes.. It's hard.. It is..
You're so afraid about what people think about you, and say about you when you're not there.
And what I had to do was "let go" of myself. I felt like I had to sink deep and just let people talk.. I said to myself that I wouldn't care.. And on the outside it seems just like that.. but on the inside.. nah.. I care.

But in the posission I am in now, as a police-student, I worry about what the other students and teachers think about my authority and integrity.
I am one of the fittest in my class, I do great at school and have a lot of social stuff going, so I gain much respect from others.. but on the inside I feel like I'm week..

I am glad to hear that you feel more confident with large groups, because that will give you a place to start. Tough it sucks a bit to, because most of the time you spend with others, you spend with like one-three persons.
My little personal "healing"-process was to start off with few persons. I would make contact with people I didn't know and just take it from there. Then I would raise my hand in class when I wanted to say something. Wich I NEVER EVER even considered before. And now I feel OK with speaking in class.. not in front of them, but sitting down at my desk. I shake inside everytime, but I say to myself that I have to do it. And when I do it I'm thinking about my "problem", and say to myself "be confident, be strong, you can do this". And I can.. but if the teacher gives me attention more than like 40-60 secs, I blush a little.. but not 100%.
And yes, it has to be done quick, so I don't think about what I'm doing.. just pop it out, get it over with.. I can feel the shaking in the second I raise my hand.. and I even get nervous just by wanting to speak and not raising my hand. I just sit and think that I should have asked this question, but if I dwell to long I can't do it.

I cannot yet raise my hand in larger groups.. but that's my next challenge. And it will take time.. lots of it..

I will be glad to inform you of the progress in my career, no problem :)
I said I was "hitting the streets" in 2010.. that's just half the truth.. hehe.. It begins in september -09 and ends in june -10.

I hear you man.. it's hard.
When I see people blushing I try to think about what it makes me feel.. like I am all the others looking at me when I'm blushing.. and yes, I notice them blush, but I don't care.. I don't feel any different about them until they try to hide it.. then I just get sad, 'cause I know how it is.. Kinda feeling their pain..
So my advice, don't let them see you notice.. act like you always do. And as I said before, I know it's easier said than done. Don't hide from it, then it'll never go away.. Sometimes I actually find it easier to just admit to myself that "yes, I am going to blush.. I know it's gonna happen, but that's just how it is.. I can't stop it, I can't hide from it.. so come what may.. just let it go"..

I'd be happy to hear how things work out for you. And take your time.. I know the progress.. I'm in it..so I should..

Talk to u later :)

PS. Practice confidence every day.. and don't hide from the problem.. remember; just let it go.
We have our problems, they have their.

I think we can learn a lot from eachother :]

lzl

troubleddavid said:
Hi,

I find blushing to be a real problem too. I think the worst part for me though was bottling up the problem and not sharing it with others, especially family.

This seems to have given me more confidence when I am around people and has stopped the laughing that they all did when they saw me go bright red.

Absolutely :]
I think admitting it is helping a lot.. but it's very hard to do.. because you feel so week and vulnerable.
But yes, I totally agree with you. When you admit it, they can't really make a point out of it.. you kinda take the edge off..