My social phobia experience normal? :s

sahxox

Hi

I feel kinda isolated from most people, even some social phobia sufferers.
I say this because it is almost like I have my 'normal self' and then my 'social phobic' self.
I don't have multiple personalities, but for the sake of the metaphor, I believe this fits.
i.e. naturally when I'm relaxed, eg around family and friends, I am bubbly and often the life of the party. Yet with many acquaintances, I can be timid and uptight and in the worst case, be too scared to talk to them. Then everyone thinks I'm a 'mute' or whatever which is the complete opposite of my actual personality.
So I find myself trying to overcompensate, when I'm with people I am comfortable with and the others are near, I exhaggerate myself and become self-conscious. It sounds crazy when put like this, but it is horrible and somehing that controls me - I cannot choose how i act! Someone either intimidates me or not. I get so aware of their perceptions counteracting mine that it significantly impairs my everyday functioning.
Basically, I am not seeking responses telling me to 'not care what others think' because i know there 'opinions' aren't important, but that does not make their power any less real.
I guess I just wanna know if anyone else lives their life like me, and if they've figured out any way or tips to make it easier. To not freeze and shut-down in certain situations uncontrollably. Because it has and continues to
impaire my life.

ImNotMyIllness

I don't have any tips but I'm definitely quieter around people I don't know. I'm also hyper aware and self conscious of my interaction (or lack) with them, which only makes things worse and more awkward.

sahxox

Wow thankyou for posting that link. I'd just never heard it described in that way before, exactly the turmoil I and many others face every single day.