My next door neighbor is leaving for college

ljwwriter

And she graduated high school two years behind me. It's times like these that it really hits me just how far I've slipped behind because of my SA. Makes me wonder how I could've gotten to this point. It's pitiful.

Richey

Classroom environments can be distracting right? you can have 20 or so people maybe half will spend the entire time talking and not really caring about the class, there is nothing wrong with that at all but if you want to learn then its hard in that setting? so school education is a little hit and miss in my opinion ... its not for everybody, the bonus of it is you can make friends, learn from people your own age, its not all bad ...

I can see both sides of the coin regarding the school system ..

The thing that annoys me about traditional school education is its far too rigid and is not updated enough, you can learn more in a week by researching wikipedia then the amount of mucking about and tip toeing around proper facts and learning that high school brings to the table depending on the sort of teachers you have and the whether its a public or private school can make a difference to the information you are fed, and often in college too this happens ..

school is a degree factory, you pay money for the paper and hopefully you get your moneys worth ..that all depends on what your given to study and whether its suitable for your interests, the whole system is you sit in a classroom orderly and obey the rules then speak when spoken too or raise your hand, so its liek prison in primary and high schools right? but when you get to university its the complete opposite, you dont have uniforms you have alot more freedom and the rules are up to you, your teacher becomes more like a knowledgable chum to help you out ..rather then cracking the whip so to speak, this makes the actual transition twisted, you agree?

dont get me wrong i think education is important, its just the methods of teaching in certain establishments vary in quality and substance, you should from the start of high school be able to choose your subjects and there should more of a range, and the system should be to help you think for yourself in the early years not the other way around

TRUE education doesn't happen in a systematic school, there are different types of learners, therefore school is not a "one size fits all" concept even though it's treated as such. You can be just as educated if you did it alone as oppose to a "traditional education" in school, a lot of people go through with the college thing because it's a false sense of security, they think they'll get their degree and that great job, but in reality when they find out that a degree doesn't really get you anywhere without some type of free voluntary time, internships and networking things can hit the fan real quick, plus who really goes to school and says "i want to get educated" it's more like "i wanted to get "educated" to get a job" they're not there for true learning or else they wouldn't be there if there was another solution to get a job, degrees are a sort of "status symbol"

Whether someone is educated traditionally or personally, doesn't dictate that either is "better off" in one situation or the other. I personally do not believe that education really "educates" people, there's too many politics, too many "false" things like history, that is taught with the incorrect facts, yet is still being taught despite the "new discoveries" and "facts." What really bugs me, is the pepole who get really superior with education and think that they're "better than" because they have some education, that's really naive, you can read a lot of books outside of the system and gain knowledge elsewhere and a lot more i might add, things that normally teachers wouldn't teach you etc etc

a homeless street bum who's never been to school may be more educated and poetic through their own self teaching and learning life the hard way and could be more knowledgable then a person who has rigidly grinded themselves through the mainstream school system even up to degree level ...and visa versa

i go to university with people who will probably pass the course yet don't have any drive or creativity to make a folio of work in their own time, they eat the information from a spoon and expect that it'll be enough and that the degree alone will make them dignified upper-class humans, only a few but i know beause they brag about getting the degree rather then the actual content of the course .. ...

Yet ive seen friends snuff the last year of high school and teach themselves through reading at the library and just getting up and doing it without a diploma or a degree and that led to the jobs of their dream, just by showing they were interested at the interview and proving it..

i'd much rather be in their situation then wasting my time at university ...
thus i'd prefer to be paid doing what i love rather then doing this, it feels like i'm digging dirt because most job advertisements look for 2 years experiance, so i think it can be better trying to look for work and perhaps studying part time ... ..
that's just me though, everyone is different, if i'm being paid at least i'm saving up to travel sooner rather then later ..

I can also see that people absolutely love only going to university, but its so expensive and i personally think if you have access to a library and the internet you don't really need to waste that much money and take a loan out to pay it off, you can teach yourself especially subjests like history, philoshophy, mathematics ...chemistry is an exception because you need access to a laboratory, it depends. ..

my point being this girl leaving two years early and going to college won't make her a better person then you as long as you realise your following your own path ...

starfish

I hate that feeling. My mom's friend's daughter just graduated highschool and is heading to Europe to work for a year. She was also working 2 jobs while going to school.
She's 4 years younger than me.. I remember when she was born! and here I am not finished high school, never held a job to speak of, and still living with my parents. It makes me feel so useless. I'm sitting here stagnating while the rest of the world flows on..

autumn_82

ljwwriter said:
And she graduated high school two years behind me. It's times like these that it really hits me just how far I've slipped behind because of my SA. Makes me wonder how I could've gotten to this point. It's pitiful.

I know how you feel. Due to having SA college has taken me 8 years so far, and it really hits me when I see Freshmen walking around campus with their "Class of '08" t-shirts.
I often think of how if I were "normal" I'd have been done with college at least 2 years ago and have had some kind of career by now. It doesn't help that my younger brother will have finished college in 4 years, and by my age (25) have been in an Engineering career for a couple years. SA really does hold you back. I guess the only thing I can say is that I have perseverance...

Walk

ljwwriter said:

ljwwriter, I don't know if you knew this, but you can still go to a university.

I don't know where you live, but if you enroll in a community college and do well, you will be able to transfer to virtually any of the top 100 universities in America.

And judging just by your writing, I'm almost certain you have what it takes.

I recommend it because it helps you feel accomplished and having a degree is never something that will hurt you in life... many wish they'd had one sooner or just had one.