my family has never been able to cope with me

scarred4life

I have learning difficulties and it's always annoyed them that I'm not normal.
My brother would never even admit that he had a sister who went to a special school.
My parents have just been giving me loads of **** because I can't cut my own nails and my mum keeps going on about how she was cutting her own nails in the primary schooland my dad said in a nasty way yeah exactly thats the way it should be. I can swear now that no other kids in this world apart from my parents and brother and sister have cut there own nails when they were still in primary school. I can swear that no kid under 15 cuts there own nails and I bet as people read this there are mothers who would never let there 15 year old babies cut there own nails.
I also hate how my family won't listen to me when I try and talk to them about this they just shout me down and even get violent sometimes or storm out of the room slamming the door and breaking stuff and screaming so they don't have to listen to me and even throw stuff at me sometimes.
I hate how nobody else with dyslexia, dyspraxia and aspergers have to put up with this.
I also hate how I would be so dead if my family saw this thread and I hate how they wouldn't let me explain why I did it.

Section_31

Welcome scarred.

Im sorry to hear what your going through. Its a tough situation. But you'll find your welcome here.

planemo

Well my family tend to ignore me and it helps them forget I exist, basically. I'm pretty certain my dad thinks I'm a loser coz I'm so quiet and the rest pretty much pay little attention to me anyway.

As far as cutting nails is concerned I still have a problem with it. I have a weaker left side compared to my right. I thought I may have Aspergers as i seem to fit a few characteristics but my therapists tell me I'm too high functioning for that. I wanted to ask about Non verbal learning disorder but I don't think any of them have even heard of it. So cutting the nails on my left hand (using my right hand) is easy, but I struggle a bit doing the opposite. It's really no big deal, and I'm not sure why people find such small things to be such huge problems in life. Don't listen to what they say, they probably have no idea that it can be so hurtful.

Hi Scarred,

I think everyone has their own strengths and challenges... I've lots of anxiety and chronic insomnia. I sometimes wish that people would just have more empathy for these kind of things, but all you can do is to keep trying. If it's any inspiration to you... there was a person on SPW here who had aspergers and possibly dyslexia as well, but he worked hard and managed to overcome most of his problems. He's no longer on SPW, but maybe you can use that as an inspiration.

For myself, I've had people laugh at my poor coordination, art skills, lack of computer knowledge, lack of mathematical precision and lack of confidence... Except for the last one, I now have a degree in mathematics, make money from writing, am a beginner in art and have some basic knowledge of programming and computers.

I still have difficulties with many things, but you can't change where you start... so one thing at a time. Maybe one day you can prove to your family that you have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds or at least achieve something that makes you happy.

Last edited:

scarred4life

I got so jelous of people as well and I hate how my family are just mean to me about that and shout me down and call them petty jelouses