My experience with hyperhidrosis

Ariana

Hello All!

So i thought i would share my story and see if any of you can relate.

Background: Gender: Female
Height: 5'6
Weight: 110

I also have slightly high blood pressure. I am not sure why but other than that i am a healthy 18 year old!

I started to notice my sweaty hands at around 12 years of age but never thought much of it. Then my junior year of high school i notice that i started to sweat a lot from my armpits during winter, which puzzled me. But since it didn't give off an odor i didn't think much of it. I am confident with myself and it never really affected me till i got to college

During my first year in college i began to notice that my sweating was far from normal. One of my classes was for three hours so i was basically sitting down for 1 hr and 45 min straight and i noticed that when i stood up during our 15 min break that the back of my legs felt sweaty and where i live it was hot and the class AC was broken. I was surprised because i never sweat from the back of my legs i thought it was just because i was sitting down for to long in a hot room but even when the room was ice cold my back legs were sweaty. I also started to notice that when i would take exams i could barely hold my pencil because my hands were sweaty. AT first i thought it was because i was nervous but after talking with my friends and family i realized what i have isnt normal... like at all.

So i started doing research and found out i had hyperhidrosis. I went to the doctor and she gave me hypercare (drysol) which works AMAZINGLY well for my armpits but not so much for my hands. Now i am about to start ionto treatment for my hands (wish me luck).

I sometimes wish I was more like how i was when i was 12 and didnt care at all but back then my sweating wasnt as bad as it is now. I always thought it was normal because i am always hot. it can be freezing and i will be saying how hot the room is. I just thought i was warm blooded. My family jokes that i am going through menopause and have hot flashes. (but it honestly does feel like i have hot flashes)I now noticed that when it is cold i do not sweat at all but when it is hot i sweat alot. Before i would sweat even if it was cold. I am noticing that this condition changes alot, well atleast for me. It hasnt been consistent at all.

I am hoping that with ionto my hands will stop along with the back of my legs. Even if ionto doesnt work i will still continue to be myself and try not to let it slow me down. Anyways i would love to hear if your experience with hyperhidrosis is at all similar to mine.

Thanks and i look forward to reading your responses :)

-Ariana

I can quite honestly say i know how you feel,

when i was at college i to became aware i was not normal compared to my friends due to the fact im a guy and men shake hands i use to shy away from people.

as for sitting down my legs never really sweat to be honest just my hands, feet and sometimes my back.

its really not easy :kickingmyself:

drink lots of cold water keep the temperature down always take a bottle of water everywhere helps me.

i think everyone on this forum are brave because i find it very hard talking about this to anyone and even doctors seem puzzled they don't see sweating as a big deal but i do.

hyp-hi

Hey Ariana,

I also had a hard time in college sitting through those long classes while sweating the whole time. It can be so uncomfortable you can't even concentrate on anything besides the sweat. It's good you are trying out different treatments. It's also nice to hear you are not letting it get to you and you continue to be yourself.

Ariana

Hey guys Thanks for the encouragement. It means alot!

@PeanutCookies- Yea i do not know why but college is when i became hyper-aware of my sweating. Thanks for the advice i will keep a cold water bottle with me at all times! I hope you find something that will help your sweating.

@hyp-hi-Yes! Sitting through long classes sucks. I live in a part of California where we we had a heat wave and for a whole week temperatures were from 100 to 111 degrees Fahrenheit (37-43 degrees Celsius)! it was horrible! I am taking a 4 hour math class this summer and I was afraid that i would be sweating through it but to my surprise they kept the classes extra cold and i dont even sweat a bit.

@Sprawling- Due to my busy schedule i haven't gotten around to it. I am taking a very intense summer math course which has taken over my life! I haven't been on this site in awhile either. When i get done with my class i am going to fully commit myself to ionto treatment and keep you informed.

Last edited: