My experience using the Hidrex PSP 1000 so far...

ClefsDuPontif

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Hidrex PSP 1000 and so far after 3 treatments I've had less than encouraging results, so I wanted to ask a few questions and any advice would be appreciated!!

Firstly, I'm a 23 year old male from the UK and have suffered from what I consider to be mild localised palmar/plantar hyperhidrosis all my life, although I get extremely excessive general sweating and facial blushing when taking part in intense exercise. I don't have any horror stories about sweat literally dripping off my hands/feet, but during the day my hands and feet are freezing cold with a constant sheen of moisture. The sweating of my hands increases markedly on contact with any kind of surface - this is enough to create significant apprehension towards physical contact in social situations.

I've previously tried strong antiperspirants on my hands and feet which produced unsurprisingly poor results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on day 5 of my iontophoresis treatment plan.

My first impression of the Hidrex PSP 1000 was surprise at the lack of included information on treatment protocol, such as the suggested treatment parameters (mA/voltage) and the effects of the various pulse widths of the pulsed current feature. Most of the instructions seemed to be a poor translation from German to English.

So far I've treated my hands on Day 1, 2 and 4 as suggested by iontophoresis.info. I've used a pulse width of 70% at 35 Volts, which I believe maxed out the current limitation feature of the device because when I tried to experiment and up the voltage to 40, the machine would not increase any further than 35. When switching the display to mA instead of Volts, the treatment seems to max out at 11-12mA (with pulse width of 70).

It is not clear from the ambiguous instruction manual how the ammeter in the device measures the current - I'm guessing it must take some kind of moving average of the current in the circuit, because otherwise it would fluctuate during the pulses. So does a current of 11-12mA with a pulse width of 70 actually correspond to a higher maximum current - say around 15mA?

The above settings produced a pretty strong tingling feeling, close to the point of irritation. My hands are now sweating more than when the treatment began. I don't know if people will be able to identify with the following, but it feels similar to when I go out in the cold with my hands exposed the skin on my palms feels "chapped" and quite "rough", and when my hands return to room temperature they would begin to sweat more than usual to try and "cleanse" the chapped feeling - then my hands in general feel dirty and clammy.

I live in a mid/hard water area by the way and I've alternated the anode and cathode for each treatment so far - I know some places advocate keeping the same polarity for initial treatments, but I don't see the logic of this given that if the true mechanism of the treatment is to drive ions to block the sweat glands, then surely it would only work on the hand in which the ions are being driven into the skin, not out of the skin.

Do some people actually experience a FULL cessation of their symptoms, or is often those with extreme symptoms feeling a huge relative improvement - going from soaking wet to very slightly moist?

I'm obviously going to persevere with the treatment, I've only done 3 treatments over 4 days after all.

Is there something I am doing wrong or something that anyone would advise that I do differently e.g. current/voltage and pulse width, treatment times etc...

Cheers!

Sprawling

I don't know much about your machine in particular. I suggest you do your treatments everyday with a minimum of 20 minutes (hand and foot) per side. If you are doing both hands at the same time do 30-60 minutes. Do this every day for at least 10 days.

Yes, it is normal to experience increased hand sweating initially after beginning your treatments.

Soy Sauce

I just started treatment with the PSP1000 too. I've done 3 sessions with a total time of about 50 mins. I only do my hands because for whatever reason, when my hands stop sweating as a result of the treatments, so do my feet. I'll see if that remains true with the PSP1000. I used to use a Drionic unit.

Currently I'm going through the increased sweating stage, which as sprawling stated, is normal. The Hidrex unit is very different than my Drionic unit, so we'll see how my body adapts and how the Hidrex performs in comparison to the Drionic. I have high hopes.

I'm trying to fit in 20 mins sessions at about 29 but for some reason, it won't always reach the setting and will stop at like 24 or 26 and won't reach the desired setting. I seem to be able to reach the desired setting by increasing the level using my toe, without taking a hand out of the trays. Anyone else had an issue with the unit not reaching the level it was set at once putting your hands in?

ClefsDuPontif

@Soy_Sauce I have had the same issue, mine wouldn't increase further than 35 volts. I think it is something to do with the maximum current limiter in the machine. It says in the manual (in poor English):

"Current Limitation

In case of very heavy sweating (therefore low electric resistance of the skin), the maximum treatment current can be reached before the discontinued dose (volt value) is gained. A protection circuit (current limitation) intervenes in this case and stops the appliance.

This doesn't have any influence on the treatment success but protects you only before burns!

In course of further treatments, slowly higher dose values are gained by the abatement of the perspiration (the electric resistance of the skin rises up).

The protection circuit seems especially use fast by using pulsed current. However, this is not applicable. In the pulse mode, an "average" dose value, that you would have to double, for example, in the comparison to the direct current, is generally shown. However, the appliance watches the maximum current and not the average."

To me that means A) the device will continue at a lower voltage than expected if the current limiter is reached and B) in the pulsed current mode, the current displayed on the mA display of the machine (not the volt display, you can change the setting when you first turn the machine on) is lower than the actual current passing through the circuit, since the ammeter in the device takes some kind of average current - obviously if the current is pulsed, the average current will be below the maximum.

salli

maybe you have adjusted pulse width in hte range of 50% according to the manufactorer, he has a "how to do it for dummies" up
Adjust the Pulsed setting: Hidrex PSP1000
it is normal cause teh device does "middle" the current and does not show the peaks, so a 50% on and a 50% off leads to 35 max. of 60 (cause the body works as an rc-part, and this is roundabout 5Volt)

Last edited: