My Experience taking Week off from the Internet

Bustn Justin

I am back from my week off from being online. It was a good experience, however, it did not make any major changes in my life. I did help me make small ones though. Such as:

Going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.
Making time to get things done around the house.
Make more free time by doing things eariler in the day.
When I watch TV or a movie, I actually pay attention to what I am watching.
Meet up with people on time.

The hardest thing for me during this experinece is to not wonder what people are up to and keep picking up the phone and text people like crazy.

Later on I am comfortable just being by myself and not worrying what people think about what I am doing and just be able to relax and have fun.

Last part here is that I still don't have much desire to go out and do things with other people. I like hanging out with my one buddy and having a few beers while watching some TV, but anything else doesn't interest me much. To be very honest I like spending a good chunk of my time at home by myself; now just have to decide what else I can do for fun.

I want to continue being part of the group, I just won't be on here as much. If any of you want to talk to me just send me a message. I will respond to you.

Azunyan

I didnt have any internet for about 1½ month when i moved away from home, but it didnt really change anything either. I didnt go out more, wasnt more social or anything. Rather id just find other things to do at home.

gustavofring

Hey Justin.

Welcome back I guess?

It certainly seems like it had some positive results on your life. Nothing earth shattering perhaps, but definately positive things that add up to the whole.

I have thought about the influence of internet a lot. I feel like I am wired by constantly being on it. I too feel the "I wonder what people are up to" and I keep checking for replies all the time. Not only on this site, but others. Also, the jitter brain feeling. Not being able to read a book or watch a movie without feeling the craving for internet.

I guess giving up the internet all together isn't an option. I realise its benefits. I feel, like you may have noticed during your experiment, totally giving up the internet is just symptom treatment. Problems won't magically disappear with one simple change. I would probably seek refuge in other stuff. (I'd keep watching DVD's over and over or something).

The root of my problem isn't the internet, but it's definately something that sustains my depression by being addicted to it. It's part of that problem that I don't feel safe or good, anywhere but home, safe behind the computer. So, I think an important step is to significantly cut down the number of hours I'm on it.

Last edited:

Bustn Justin

For me I also found that I can cut back my tv time and the amount of beer I drink. I also love watching DVDs on Saturday nights with pizza. May be boring to some but fun for me. I am more able to just relax and not think of what others are doing and thinking.

razzle dazzle rose

When I watch TV or a movie, I actually pay attention to what I am watching.

I didn't have internet for a couple weeks in August. Did not really change much, but I did notice that I actually watched movies, and noticed details I had missed before. So now when I watch movies, I remember this and turn away other distractions.

razzle dazzle rose

The root of my problem isn't the internet, but it's definately something that sustains my depression by being addicted to it. It's part of that problem that I don't feel safe or good, anywhere but home, safe behind the computer. So, I think an important step is to significantly cut down the number of hours I'm on it.

You take the thoughts in my head and write them down so eloquently. The internet is my drug. It helps me escape reality. To recover I will have to cut down on my time online. Such a scary prospect!