My dr. put me on Prozac...

She was gonna put me back on Paxil but I said I didn't want the bad withdraws so she said to try out Prozac.

Anyone use it and can you tell me if its helped you at all?

FOR REAL

Banned
prozac (fluoxetine) seems to make most people feel better :)

if it makes you feel worse as it did with me, go back to your doctor right away.

i hope i didnt scare you by saying that, cause as i say it does make most people feel happier :)

Noca

Banned
Prozac was my first anti-depressant I ever took. Was up to 60mg at one time. Prozac is kinda unique in that it's half-life is soooo long that there basically is no withdrawal syndrome for the drug. Prozac helped me exit my first major depressive episode, did nothing for my anxiety though.

Oh no worries^_^

I know it can make me feel worse that's why I'm just trying it out.

I'm gonna start tomorrow. Do you know how long it takes to notice any changes?

Noca

Banned
Oh no worries^_^

I know it can make me feel worse that's why I'm just trying it out.

I'm gonna start tomorrow. Do you know how long it takes to notice any changes?

It takes 4-8 weeks for the average SSRI to start working if it does at all. Good thing is SSRI's are usually well tolerated with few side effects. Good luck :D

x000x

I was on 40 mg of Prozac not too long ago and I felt like a zombie. I felt like I had no emotions or sometimes I'd feel very scared for no reason and have panic attacks. I'm on Effexor now. That's just my experience with it, so maybe it'll work for you.

EscapeArtist

You have to be very careful with Prozac.. I went on it in May-July. I started out low, but my doctor bumped be up to 40? or 60? mg really quickly. I realise looking back that after I started taking Prozac, I lost a ton of weight because I wasn't turning to a binge when I was anxious anymore, so I guess it helped, for a week maybe... Then suddenly I started getting HORRIBLE nightmares, I would wake up crying and go and hug my mom. Then i'd walk around like a zombie all day, I only had a few emotions, worry, fear, and paranoia. My body would feel like I'm going through trauma, in my nerves, my stomach, etc, and my head knew very well that there was nothing wrong. It led me to do many stupid thing, I told my sister I would kill myself, my best friend had to come over some days immediately, because I felt severely suicidal... I'd never felt so ****ed up and terrifyingly self-hazardous in all my life!

So I went off of it the next day and no withdrawal, felt better immediately! no more nightmares, my emotions came back...

Yeah it was a horrible experience for me personally. I'm 17, so this makes sense, people under 18 apparently are more likely to feel suicidal. I didn't know it would get to such a large degree though... It might work for you (It worked for me the first week or two) but be careful, don't raise the dosage too fast if you don't see immediate effects! you might just not be noticing the small changes it's making..

Noca

Banned
You have to be very careful with Prozac.. I went on it in May-July. I started out low, but my doctor bumped be up to 40? or 60? mg really quickly. I realise looking back that after I started taking Prozac, I lost a ton of weight because I wasn't turning to a binge when I was anxious anymore, so I guess it helped, for a week maybe... Then suddenly I started getting HORRIBLE nightmares, I would wake up crying and go and hug my mom. Then i'd walk around like a zombie all day, I only had a few emotions, worry, fear, and paranoia. My body would feel like I'm going through trauma, in my nerves, my stomach, etc, and my head knew very well that there was nothing wrong. It led me to do many stupid thing, I told my sister I would kill myself, my best friend had to come over some days immediately, because I felt severely suicidal... I'd never felt so ****ed up and terrifyingly self-hazardous in all my life!

So I went off of it the next day and no withdrawal, felt better immediately! no more nightmares, my emotions came back...

Yeah it was a horrible experience for me personally. I'm 17, so this makes sense, people under 18 apparently are more likely to feel suicidal. I didn't know it would get to such a large degree though... It might work for you (It worked for me the first week or two) but be careful, don't raise the dosage too fast if you don't see immediate effects! you might just not be noticing the small changes it's making..
Yeah the same goes with any anti-depressant and under 18 age patients. The FDA put a black label on all anti-depressants approved by the FDA for this reason.

Kat

Prozac was a strange experience for me at first it seemed like it helped I was happy but didn’t have the mindset to match; I went on it with- out therapy, though. I also started to have physical problems with it like gaining weight and I was unable to raise my heart rate.

I also was a sort of suicidal I am not sure if the drugs induced that but I have had moments where I felt like that anyway so it’s hard to know if it was the drug or me.